He Is the Rock
Deut. 32:1-4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
This is a song that Moses sang to the nation of Israel.
This is the only song we know of that Moses wrote, and it was a ROCK SONG!
He mentions the word “rock” 8 times in this song. vs. 4, 13, 15, 18, 30, 31 (2x), 37
- This song was a Mandate – vs. 19 God commanded Moses to write it and teach it to the people.
- This song was a Manifesto – vss. 1-6 it was to declare God’s faithfulness and man’s failures
- This song was a Memorial – vs. 19 this song may be a witness for me against the children of Israel…
- Deuteronomy 32:7 Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee.
- Deuteronomy 32:18 Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee.
I. He is the Rock that Sustains Me
- Exodus 17:1-7
- Psalms 78:15, 16 He clave the rocks in the wilderness, and gave them drink as out of the great depths. He brought streams also out of the rock, and caused waters to run down like rivers.
- Psalms 78:20 Behold, he smote the rock, that the waters gushed out, and the streams overflowed; can he give bread also? can he provide flesh for his people?
- Psalms 81:16 He should have fed them also with the finest of the wheat: and with honey out of the rock should I have satisfied thee.
- Psalms 105:41 He opened the rock, and the waters gushed out; they ran in the dry places like a river.
One thing that is so encouraging to me as a Christian is my God’s ability to meet my needs NO MATTER WHAT!
If he can bring water out of a rock – if He can bring honey out of a rock – if he can bring
II. He is the Rock that Secures Me – vs. 30, 31 For their rock is not as our Rock, even our enemies themselves being judges.
- 2 Samuel 22:2 And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;
- 2 Samuel 22:3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence.
- Psalms 61:2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
Notice verse vs. 37-43 God shall say… Where are their gods, their rock in whom they trusted,…
III. He is the Rock that Saves Me – vs. 15 they lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation
- Psalms 89:26 He shall cry unto me, Thou art my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
- Psalms 95:1 O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.
I’m grateful this morning that my salvation is in Christ!
My salvation is not in the church.
My salvation is not in some preacher.
My salvation is not in a pastor.
My salvation is secure because it is in JESUS CHRIST!
- Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Notice the message of salvation from these rocks:
A. By His Death
- Matthew 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
B. By His Burial
- Matthew 27:59 And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.
C. By His Resurrection
- Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
- 2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
- 3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
- 4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.
- 5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
- 6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.