God’s Prototype of a Man
Gen. 1:26, 27
Intro: I can’t help but notice the political incorrectness of the phrase, “male and female created He them…” God only made two genders. That’s all. Nothing else. And they are not interchangeable.
In this verse, God unveiled His prototype of a man. We see prototypes in the Popular Mechanics magazines, car shows, etc. The word prototype means: the first typical or preliminary model of something from which other forms are developed or copied. The question is, why do we not see any of these amazing prototypes on the road? Someone had the vision, the desire, the artistic ability to create this amazing vehicle, but after the work and expense of building it, and unveiling it, it does not become a readily acceptable or utilized automobile.
God unveiled the first man in Gen. 1 – What can we learn about this prototype of a man?
NOTE: A man is not a man because he has facial hair, or dirty fingernails, or athletic ability, or physical strength, or body odor…
God’s creation was amazing, but His PROTOTYPE OF A MAN was unique in his…
- Divine Likeness – vs. 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:
SEE Eccl. 7:29 Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.
It was, and still is, the plan and will of our Creator to have an earthly representation of Himself.
He made the planets, the plants, the animals, the amazing landscapes, but the greatest tribute to Himself was the creation of man.
The ultimate sign of manhood is a life that reflects the attributes and character of Almighty God!
It is man’s job to learn as much as they can about Him, His mind, His word, His will, His precepts, His commandments, His passions, His concerns – and then make it your life’s mission to imitate Him – TO WALK IN HIS STEPS! (1 Peter 2:21)
God created man to be a spiritual being – being carnal doesn’t accurately depict the type of man God created.
- Dominating License – vs. 26 …let them have dominion…
Look at verse 28 – …Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion…
NOTE: This has nothing to do with personality (alpha versus beta).
God said – let THEM – that is every man. That is a license STRAIGHT FROM GOD to be an victor; not a victim!
Adam subdued – he dominated everything he came in contact with.
- Difficulties – he didn’t say “this is hard…I can’t do this…”
- Discouragement – he didn’t walk around all the time with his tail between his legs
- Danger – David said that God taught his fingers to fight.
Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
- Debt – dominating your own covetousness/lifestyle/irresponsibility
- Desires – being beat to death by their own lusts, – James 1:13-15 says lust leads to sin, which brings death
We live in a “give-up” society. We live in a “throw-away” society.
Men don’t fight for anything anymore.
They live in defeat.
Take charge, and stop getting your rear-end kicked by everything and everybody!!
- Get control of your marriage. Stop blaming everybody and DOMINATE the struggles.
- Get control of your children. Quit making excuses and GET IT TOGETHER!
- Get control of your finances. Sit down and make a plan to get debt free and stay debt free.
- Get control of your schedule. Quit allowing the unsaved and backsliders to keep you from serving God.
- Get control of your health; your physical condition; your diet.
III. Daily Livelihood – 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
GOD’S PROTOTYPE OF A MAN HAD A JOB!
God created Him, and immediately put him to work.
The job was difficult. It was specific. It was ongoing!
- He had no tools.
- He had no experience.
- He had no help.
- He had no boss or supervisor to keep him busy.
- He had no alarm clock to wake him up.
He learned HOW – by DOING IT!
He had to learn how to dress it – that means to labour, work, do work
He had to learn how to keep it – to keep, guard, keep watch and ward, protect, save life
That is why I challenge the boys, the teens, the young men – GET OFF THE COUCH AND GET TO WORK!
Learn how to: make money; save money; budget money; spend money; give away money; invest money;
Learn how to: build things; repair things; design things; grow things; buy things; sell things; plan things.
Learn how to: pay your own way; protect yourself; protect others; care for people; solve problems
- Defined Laws – 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man
God’s prototype of a man had clearly defined – plain – easy to follow laws.
God’s PROTOTYPE OF A MAN was a LAW ABIDING MAN – not a renegade; a rogue; a rebel; a protestor; a riotor.
He wasn’t an outlaw; a criminal; he was commanded by God about what he could and could not do.
- The precepts were clear.
- The penalty was clear.
- The parameters were clear.
- Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
David was a man’s after God’s own heart – He had a passion for the CLEARLY DEFINED LAWS OF GOD.
Notice how many times he referred to this in Psalm 119:
- 1 Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
- 2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
- 3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
- 4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
- 5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
- 6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
- 7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
- 8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
In fact, the longest chapter in the Bible is David’s nonstop testimony of his love for God’s law.
- Dedicated Lover – 2:22-25 …and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
God’s word is very clear – His desire for man was for him to be a loyal, loving, husband.
- Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
The world’s definition of a man is a person that is sexually promiscuous.
NOTE: Adam didn’t cleave to his hobbies, his buddies, his sports, his job, his children; he was told to cleave to his wife!
Conclusion: It was God’s intent for man to represent Him. He created Adam in his likeness. We’ve let the feminists and the liberals rebrand what constitutes a man. It is clearly laid out in the Scriptures what God’s Prototype of a Man involved. Are you a godly man??
- Psalm 12:1 Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.