God Bless the Volunteers
Isaiah 6:8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?
Then said I, Here am I; send me.
Intro: Isaiah 6:8 is an amazing example of a volunteer. I love the fact that Isaiah volunteered IMMEDIATELY. Notice these key factors:
- He heard the voice of the Lord – volunteers have their ears tuned to God’s voice
- He heard the need – Whom shall I send? He didn’t look around; he looked inward.
- He recognized his place – here am I; send me
Isaiah had no experience.
Isaiah had no knowledge of the task.
Isaiah had no questions about pay, or benefits, or what was in it for him.
The greatest ability is availability.
People that hear the voice of God, people that look inward, and people that are here make great volunteers.
I. The Specialty of Volunteers
Volunteers specialize in helping relieve another’s burden and expect nothing in return.
Volunteers specialize in seeing a need and offering to meet that need simply because they can.
“The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.”
“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” — Winston Churchill
“Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.”
Hey kids! “If you think you are too small to make a difference, you have never been in bed with a mosquito.”
One of my heroes growing up was Davy Crocket. He was a volunteer.
Every man in the Alamo was a Volunteer.
If a volunteer has changed one person or one person’s life, they have changed the world.
Calvary Baptist Church could not do nearly as much as we did without our volunteers.
We have a great staff here. They do so much.
But each of us on staff have to admit that without our volunteers, we would be lost!
Whether it is the outreach, the many ministries, the property and maintenance, the visiting, the cooking and serving at events, bringing people to church, driving busses, vans, we thank God for volunteers!
QUOTE: “Volunteers don’t get paid, not because they’re worthless, but because they’re priceless.”
- Galatians 6:2 Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
Volunteers offer to do what they can just because they can.
Volunteers get fulfillment from being a blessing and lightening someone else’s load.
II. The Sensitivity of Volunteers
- 1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,
- 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
- 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
- 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
- 1 John 3:17 But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
- “Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart.” — Elizabeth Andrew
- “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.”
- “Volunteers are love in motion!”
Illustration: Nehemiah 1, 2 Send me that I may build it. Spoken by a cup bearer; not a builder!
Turns out, Nehemiah was one of the greatest leaders the world has ever known.
Nehemiah’s ability to inspire people to work and labor is unprecedented.
His ability to overcome enormous opposition and complete an almost impossible task is astounding.
If he had never volunteered to build the walls, he would have died a cupbearer.
III. The Shortage of Volunteers
We are entering into the month of September which is Structured and Strengthened Month.
There is not a ministry here at Calvary Baptist Church that couldn’t use more workers.
- The Nursery
- The Usher Ministry
- The Outreach Ministry – Rescue Missions/Nursing Homes/
- The Bus and Van routes
- The Maintenance and Grounds Ministry
- The Music Ministry
- The Cleaning Ministry
- The Bookstore Ministry
- The Children’s Ministries – Little Lambs, Patch Club, Sunday School, Junior Church, etc.
God might want you to volunteer for a lifetime of ministry.
God may want you to surrender to preach the gospel.
God may want you to prepare for a life of missionary work.
God may want you to say HERE AM I, SEND ME!
- Luke 10:2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
- James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
Are you a volunteer?
Closing Story: Sis. Sandra Mullins is in the hospital. She’s 76 years old. She’s got a host of health issues, including she has to use a trach to speak. She’s been in the hospital since Friday. My wife and I went up to see her yesterday. She had one question. Could she still go visit the shut-ins when she gets out of the hospital. God Bless The Volunteers!