Glory In This
Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
I. The Restricted Glory
23 Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:
A.Glory in Man’s Wisdom is Restricted
- 1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
B. Glory in Man’s Might is Restricted
- Proverbs 20:29 The glory of young men is their strength: and the beauty of old men is the gray head.
- 2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
C. Glory in Man’s Riches is Restricted
- Psalm 49:6-10
6 They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches;
7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:
8 (For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever:)
9 That he should still live for ever, and not see corruption.
10 For he seeth that wise men die, likewise the fool and the brutish person perish, and leave their wealth to others.
Revelation 5:12, 13 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.
II. The Respected Glory– vs. 24
24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
A. God’s Exposure to Us – that he understandeth and knoweth me
- 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
- 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
- 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
- 20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
- 21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.
- 15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
- 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
- 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
B. God’s Exercises toward Us – that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth
Conclusion: 1 Corinthians 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.