Get Plugged In Sermon Series
GET PLUGGED IN TO THE MESSAGE PART 1
Intro: In our text, Jesus made one thing very clear – If you want to abide in Him, you must abide in His word.
Getting plugged in means His word must abide in you – vs. 7
Abiding in Christ means abiding in His word, and His words abiding in you.
That sounds an awful like GETTING PLUGGED IN TO THE MESSAGE!
One of the key elements of the being part of the church is the messages that God has for the church. Each service at Calvary Baptist Church will present an opportunity for every member to hear a message that God has given to the man of God for the church. It is timely, it is relevant, it is crucial and it is necessary for the sustenance and the growth of the church.
It is the job of the pastor to stay in tune with God and make sure he is ready and able to get the message from God for the church.
It is the pastor’s job to GET PLUGGED IN so he can deliver the message.
It is the church’s job to GET PLUGGED IN to the message that is preached.
Let’s notice several things by way of introduction about the message itself.
A. The Message will be Specific – vs. 3 “…the word that I have spoken UNTO YOU.”
READ John 14:22-31
The message that God has for the church is very different from the message He has for the world.
He hid truth from the world. That’s why he spoke in parables and kept truth hidden from them.
- John 16:25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.
And the message for each church is very specific – He doesn’t say the same thing to every church.
SEE God gave the 7 churches of Revelation 2 and 3 very specific messages.
Seven times Jesus said, “Unto the angel of the church _______ write…”
They all may have said the same basic thing, but they were specific in their rebukes and reproofs.
God sent a message to many of the local churches in the New Testament.
Each one had common elements, but each one also had specific instruction and admonition.
Paul wrote letters to the church at Corinth, Galatia, Ephesus, Philippi, Colosse, and Thessalonica.
Each message was specific to the needs of the congregation and the spiritual state of the members.
It dealt with problems, issues, false doctrine and personality conflicts within those churches.
Sometimes, Paul encouraged them to read each other’s mail!
- Colossians 4:16 And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea.
GETTING PLUGGED IN TO THE MESSAGE of the church is vital for each member.
God will give the pastor very specific messages for this church that are directed straight to you.
Some churches cannot handle the messages that God will give to this church.
SEE I Corinthians 3:1, 2 – the church of Corinth was too carnal to handle strong preaching.
Some churches are further along than others. Paul used examples of some churches to motivate others.
He used the churches of Macedonia to stir up the Corinthians in 2 Corinthians 8:1
He compared the church at Berea with the Christians in Thessalonica in Acts 17:11.
B. The Message will be Suitable – vs. 3 “Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.”
- 9 And moreover, because the preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yea, he gave good heed, and sought out, and set in order many proverbs.
- 10 The preacher sought to find out acceptable words: and that which was written was upright, even words of truth.
- 11 The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd.
God will give the pastor messages that are SUITABLE for the flock.
Not every message is the same, and not every church is the same.
God will lead the pastor to increase the substance and depth of the message, depending on the church.
It is the pastor’s job to lead according to the state of the church.
The pastor must know what the church can handle.
- Proverbs 27:23 Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds.
There are things I’m preaching now that I couldn’t preach when I first came here 6 ½ years ago.
In John 16, Jesus held back on his teaching because the disciples couldn’t handle it.
- 12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
- 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
In Genesis 33, Esau was urging Jacob to bring his family and flocks and follow him.
Jacob had to take it slow.
- 12 And he said, Let us take our journey, and let us go, and I will go before thee.
- 13 And he said unto him, My lord knoweth that the children are tender, and the flocks and herds with young are with me: and if men should overdrive them one day, all the flock will die.
- 14 Let my lord, I pray thee, pass over before his servant: and I will lead on softly, according as the cattle that goeth before me and the children be able to endure, until I come unto my lord unto Seir.
I have to have a general sense of the level of maturity of the church.
It is a journey. The messages have to increase in depth incrementally.
God will unveil His word in layers; in a process; in a series of increasing depth, depending on your growth.
If you miss the message, you will miss the process.
If you only hear every other message, or every three or four messages, you may not survive the journey.
The messages will be suitable, but you have GET PLUGGED IN!!
C. The Message will be Sustaining – John 15:10, 11
Those that hearken and obey and keep His word will abide in his love.
And those that hearken and obey and keep His word will have a joy that is full.
In other words, GET PLUGGED IN TO THE WORD so it can sustain you as a Christian!
One of the places where you can GET PLUGGED IN TO HIS WORD is at church.
Church is mealtime for the believer!
- Jeremiah 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.
- Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
I Peter 5
- 1 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:
- 2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
- 3 Neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.
Some of you are missing too many meals. Your ribs are showing!
GET PLUGGED IN TO THE MESSAGE PART 2
I. By your Believing
- Acts 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
Believing the message is vital.
Faith is the catalyst to activate the Word.
READ John 17:6-8
Believing the message is what separates us from the world (the unbelievers).
It is absolutely essential as a Christian to believe the message.
You will never get plugged in if there is a single ounce of doubt.
II. By your Building
God will use the messages to build you.
GETTING PLUGGED IN TO THE MESSAGE will allow God to edify and build you up spiritually.
If you miss the messages, you will miss essential preaching and teaching to help build you.
- 11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
- 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
- 13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
- 14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
- 15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
- 16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
I Timothy 1
- 3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
- 4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
Notice Paul’s words to the Christians in Rome.
Romans Chapter 1
- 11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;
How was Paul going to impart some spiritual gift? Through a message. Through preaching. Through teaching.
- 25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
- 26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
III. By Your Behaving
One of the best ways to GET PLUGGED IN TO THE MESSAGE is to let it influence and impact your life.
Paul wrote a message so Timothy would know how to behave.
I Timothy 3
- 14 These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly:
- 15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
2 Thessalonians 3
- 1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:
- 2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.
- 3 But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
- 4 And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you.
- 5 And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ.
- 6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.
- 7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;
His letter was written to affect their behavior.
When you and I get plugged into the message, it will affect how we live.
How you live reflects what you’re plugged in to!
Are you plugged in to Hollywood?
Are you plugged in to the social media culture?
Are you plugged in to the progressive, liberal mindset that is so prevalent in our society?
If you are, it will affect your life.
People judge you by your walk; by your actions.
- Acts 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
DEFINITION OF “BEEN WITH”: implies a coherence, the two who are with each other are intimately connected and goes very much further then; which means being in the same place with a person