Get On Fire and Stay On Fire
Proverbs 30:15, 16
Intro: We need more Christians to get on fire today. What we need more than that is for Christians to get on fire, and stay on fire! It seems that so many today get fired up and two weeks later, they are in the dumps, missing church, doubting their salvation, giving in to temptation, vulnerable, weak, and discouraged, thinking about quitting on God. We need to GET ON FIRE, AND STAY ON FIRE!
- QUOTE: “My fear is not that our great movement, known as the Methodists, will eventually cease to exist or one day die from the earth. My fear is that our people will become content to live without the fire, the power, the excitement, the supernatural element that makes us great.” – John Wesley
In these verses, Solomon makes an interesting observation.
One of the few things on earth that CANNOT GET ENOUGH is a fire.
God said in Proverbs 26:20 Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out:
It is a scientific fact; as long as you keep adding wood to a fire, it will continue to burn.
This talk of GETTING ON FIRE might scare or concern some people. They are afraid of “WILD FIRE”.
QUOTE: “There are different kinds of fire; there is false fire. No one knows this better than we do, but we are not such fools as to refuse good bank notes because there are false ones in circulation; and although we see here and there manifestations of what appears to us to be nothing more than mere earthly fire, we none the less prize and value, and seek for the genuine fire which comes from the altar of the Lord.” – William Booth
Why is getting on fire so important?
John the Baptist said, Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
- Fire heats those that are cold
- Acts 28:2 And the barbarous people shewed us no little kindness: for they kindled a fire, and received us every one, because of the present rain, and because of the cold.
- Fire purifies the polluted
- Zechariah 13:9 And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.
- Fire eliminates the worthless
- Matthew 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire
- Fire is a severe judgment of sin
- Genesis 19:24 Then the LORD rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the LORD out of heaven;
NOTE: This is the first mention principle of the word “fire”
The first time we see fire, it is the angel at the Garden of Eden with the flaming sword. (Gen. 3:24)
- Spend time with God
- Hebrews 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire
The number one reason that people get cold on God is that they fail to spend time with Him.
One reason that many Baptist never get on fire for God, is they’ve never been set on fire BY God.
- Spend time in your Bible
- Jeremiah 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
QUOTE: “Leave not off reading the Bible till you find your hearts warmed. Read the word, not only as a history, but labor to be affected with it. Let it not only inform you, but inflame you. “Is not my word like a fire? saith the Lord”: Jer 23:29. Go not from the word till you can say as those disciples, “Did not our hearts burn within us?” Luke 24:32.” – Thomas Watson
- Spend time in your prayer closet
NOTE: The Old Testament tabernacle had an ALTAR OF INCENSE – a type of the believer’s prayer life.
INCENSE: incense, smoke, odour of (burning) sacrifice, sweet smoke of sacrifice
You can’t have prayer without fire!
QUOTE: Prayer ascends by fire. Flame gives prayer access as well as wings, acceptance as well as energy. There is no incense without fire; no prayer without flame.” – E.M. Bounds
- 2 Chronicles 7:1 Now when Solomon had made an end of praying, the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the LORD filled the house.
- James 5:16 The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
- Spend time with God’s man
- Jeremiah 20:9 Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.
A God-called pastor has a God-given fire shut up in his bones.
If you hang around the preacher, it will rub off on you. GUARANTEED!
If you are member of the football team, you can’t lose interest in football if you hang out with the coach.
If you are in the squadron, you won’t lose your desire to fight if you hang out with the sergeant.
If you are in the church, you won’t lose your desire to serve God if you hang out with the pastor.
I have watched people get sideways with the pastor, get critical, and withdraw from their pastor.
It is absolutely impossible to stay on fire for God if your relationship with your pastor is not right.
And you can’t argue with me if you’ve never been a pastor. I know what I’m talking about.
Let me ask a question: Do you think it is possible for a church member to get on fire for God, and stay on fire for God, and the pastor not know it?
- Proverbs 27:23 Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds.
It has been my experience, that those in the church that maintain a healthy relationship with their pastor have a much easier time staying on fire for God.
WARNING: Satan would love nothing more than to drive a wedge between you and the pastor.
- It will begin a time of weakening and diminishing of your fervency and excitement
- It will hinder what God is trying to do in your heart.
- It will discourage and burden the pastor unnecessarily.
- It will hinder and affect the forward momentum of the church
III. Spend time with God’s people
- Acts 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
One thing that I noticed about that group of church members in Acts 1 and 2 was this: every one of them were on fire.
You want to know why? They were all THERE!!!
It will be impossible – not difficult, not hard, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to stay on fire for God, and miss church!
Peter followed afar off in Mark 14:54 And Peter followed him afar off, even into the palace of the high priest: and he sat with the servants, and warmed himself at the fire.
Peter ended up denying the Lord just hours after insisting that he would be willing to die for him. (Matt 26:33)
What happened? He followed afar off, and warmed himself at the WRONG FIRE!!!
QUOTE: “Take care of giving up your first zeal; beware of cooling in the least degree. Ye were hot and earnest once; be hot and earnest still, and let the fire which once burnt within you still animate you. Be ye still men of might and vigor, men who serve their God with diligence and zeal.” – Charles Spurgeon
Keep throwing wood on your fire! Get on fire, and STAY ON FIRE!