Get It Together Sermon Series
You and your Home
INTRO: On the first night of their honeymoon, the new husband wasn’t sure how to tell his bride that he had a terrible problem with his stinky feet. At the same time, the newly-wed wife is wondering how to break the news to him about her awful breath, which so far, she’s been able to cover up. After some soul-searching, the new husband gathers his nerve and says, “I have a confession.” She draws closer, peers into his eyes, and says, “Darling, so do I.” Recoiling, he says, “Don’t tell me—you ate my socks.”
If there is any area where we need to GET IT TOGETHER more than our homes, I don’t know what it is.
Satan is wrecking havoc in our homes, and we need to find what God said and GET IT TOGETHER!
- Get It Together with your Commitment
The numbers have been consistent – 45% to 50% of marriages end in divorce.
The number has dropped in recent years, but simply because more people are not getting married; they are living together.
NOTICE GOD’S WORD!
- 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
NOTE: CLEAVE – to be joined together
- Matthew 19:5, 6 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
Divorce should not be an option.
- Get It Together with your Consecration
Serving God TOGETHER is one of the most wonderful things a husband and wife and family can do.
First Mention Principle of the word WORSHIP – Genesis 22
- Genesis 22:5, 6 And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you. And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.
- Genesis 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
Notice God’s Instruction to the families of Israel:
- 31:12 Gather the people together, men, and women, and children, and thy stranger that is within thy gates, that they may hear, and that they may learn, and fear the LORD your God, and observe to do all the words of this law: And that their children, which have not known any thing, may hear, and learn to fear the LORD your God, as long as ye live in the land whither ye go over Jordan to possess it.
Notice Joshua’s diligence to serve God together with his family during his last days.
- Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
I believe we could say that Joshua HAD IT TOGETHER when it came to his and his family’s commitment to the Lord.
There are so many marriages that consist of just one of the two having a desire to live for God.
In so many homes, the parents serve God but the children have no desire.
Encourage each other – keep each other accountable; help motivate each other!
Scheming sin together
It is bad when the husband and wife agree together to do something unbiblical. Disaster awaits!
Notice what happened to Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5 –
- Acts 5:9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
Reap Judgment Together
The importance of generational sin and judgment is lost on a lot of people.
A lot of people do not realize that their sin will not stop with them – it will haunt their family for generations!
- Exodus 34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.
III. Get It Together with your Communion
Several verses dealing with the marriage use the word TOGETHER:
GET IT TOGETHER IN THE AREA OF LEARNING
- 1 Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
Learn your wife. Dwell with her according to knowledge.
JOKE: A police officer jumps into his squad car and calls the station. “I have an interesting case here,” he says. “A woman shot her husband for stepping on the floor she just mopped.” “Have you arrested her?” asks the sergeant. “No, not yet. The floor’s still wet.”
Dwell with them according to knowledge!!
JOKE: My wife told me that I twist everything she says to my advantage. I take that as a compliment.
GET IT TOGETHER IN THE AREA OF LOVING
- 1 Corinthians 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
JOKE: I once gave my husband the silent treatment for an entire week, at the end of which he declared, “Hey, we’re getting along pretty great lately!”
JOKE: A couple are sitting in their living room, sipping coffee. Out of the blue, the wife says, “I love you.” “Is that you or the coffee talking?” asks the husband. “It’s me,” says the wife. “Talking to the coffee.”
Love each other – in spite of each other’s imperfections.
JOKE: My wife saw me standing on the bathroom scale, sucking in my stomach. “That’s not going to help,” she said. “Sure, it does,” I said. “It’s the only way I can see the numbers.”
JOKE: I posed this question to my wife of 22 years: “Will you still love me when I’m old and fat?” She answered, “I do.”
God’s word is clear – the intimacy reserved for marriage should only be between a man and his wife.
- Proverbs 5:15 Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well.
- 16 Let thy fountains be dispersed abroad, and rivers of waters in the streets.
- 17 Let them be only thine own, and not strangers’ with thee.
- 18 Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
- 20 And why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a strange woman, and embrace the bosom of a stranger?
- 21 For the ways of man are before the eyes of the LORD, and he pondereth all his goings.
ADULTERY IS STILL WRONG! – God is not playing!
- Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
This point is for those not married yet…
- Get It Together with your Companions
If you are not married yet but hope to be one day, it is essential that you understand God’s Word on marriage:
Do not marry an unbeliever if you are saved!
GET IT TOGETHER!!
- Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?
- 2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?