Get It Together Sermon Series
You and your Church
One of the most important relationships in the world for a Christian is their relationship with their local church.
- Romans 12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
How they fit and interact and assimilate in the New Testament Church will determine their level of spiritual success.
Jesus made this powerful statement:
- Matthew 16:18 “Upon this rock I WILL BUILD MY CHURCH, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”
It is clear, that the invincibility and the invulnerability is reserved only for HIS CHURCH.
To place yourself OUTSIDE of that realm of Divine protection would be foolish and spiritually destructive.
Mine and your longevity; our sanctuary; our success is directly proportionate to our relationship with the church.
NOTE: Being a member is not enough; the key is being an involved, participating member.
We use the term “join the church.” That is more than an administrative process in the church office.
That is more than adding your name to a church roster.
That means you have indicated that you want to JOIN IN WHAT THE CHURCH IS DOING!
Joining in TOGETHER with the rest of the church is absolutely essential to your spiritual well-being.
Look at the uses of the word TOGETHER when describing the church.
- Ephesians 2:21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
- Ephesians 2:22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
- Ephesians 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love;
Twice in Colossians, Paul uses the phrase “KNIT TOGETHER”.
This speaks of a delicate, intertwining of individuals.
KNIT: to cause to coalesce, to join together, put together
- Colossians 2:2 That their hearts (the church at Laodicea) might be comforted, being knit together in love,
- Colossians 2:19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.
- 1 Corinthians 12:24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked:
- Together in your Assembling
- Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
- Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
- Acts 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
- Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread,
NOTE: When the Rapture takes place, that will probably be the first time that the whole church was TOGETHER!!
- 1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
- Together in your Activities
- 1:27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;
It is impossible for you and I to strive together if one of is NOT HERE!
- Sunday School Ministry
- Nursery Ministry
- Bus Ministry
- Junior Church
- Little Lambs
- Patch Clubs
- Usher Ministry
- Church Security Team
- Soulwinning Visitation on Wednesday afternoon at 3:30, Thursday night at 6:30 and Saturday at 10
- Jail Ministry, Rescue Mission Ministry, Retirement Home Ministry
- Friday Night Reformers Unanimous, Full Throttle and Children’s Bible Time from 7 to 9 PM
- World Missions where we support 82 missionaries at $9,325 per month
- Multiple work days and opportunities to get involved
The simple fact is – if you are not doing any of these; if you’re not involved – we are not striving TOGETHER!
Note Paul’s exact words – even if I am absent – I may hear of your affairs – that YE STAND FAST IN ONE SPIRIT, WITH ONE MIND, STRIVING TOGETHER.
Paul recognized the difference in being absent, and being together!!
You can’t be both!! If you are absent, you are not together!
- Together in your Accountability
- Acts 14:27 And when they were come, and had gathered the church together, they rehearsed all that God had done with them, and how he had opened the door of faith unto the Gentiles.
This is the story of Paul and his associates where they are home on furlough.
They went to their home church to rehearse all that God had done with them.
I got to thinking of all the missionaries that have come through our church to rehearse all that God had done.
Those that are not here – TOGETHER – with us, missed hearing these unbelievable reports!
They missed out on the faith-building mission’s stories and the edification – because they couldn’t GET IT TOGETHER!
- Together in your Aspirations
- Acts 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
- Psalms 133:1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
- I Cor. 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.