Don’t Even Think About It
- The Forbidden Thoughts – vs. 25, 31, 34
- The Futile Thoughts – vs. 27
- The Faithless Thoughts – vs. 30
I. The Priorities of God’s People
A. The Priority of our Life – vs. 25 Is not the life more than meat,
- Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
- Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
B. The Priority of our Body …and the body than raiment?
- Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
- Philippians 1:20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.
II. The Proof of God’s Power
A. The Fowls – vs. 26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Researchers estimate the total bird population to be anywhere from 200-400 billion.
If God can feed billions of birds – every single day, He can take care of you!
B. The Fields – vs. 28-30 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
ILLUSTRATION: Depends on who you reference. The total number of flowering species is estimated to be in the range of 250,000 to 400,000 but only about 230,000 are described. (That’s anywhere from a quarter of a million to nearly half a million DIFFERENT SPECIES of flowers.
- 31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
- 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
AFTER ALL THESE THINGS DO THE GENTILES SEEK – Because they do not have a heavenly Father.
We have a Heavenly Father – and he already knows that ye have need of all these things.
Do you believe that He sees and knows that you need these things, and that He won’t do anything about it?
NOTE: God is not minimizing the importance of WORK. He is minimizing the importance of WORRY.
III. The Preeminence of God’s Purpose
- 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness…
Jesus was crystal clear – SEEK FIRST the kingdom of God.
Not second, or third, or last.
Not even SIMULTANEOUSLY.
Seek FIRST the kingdom of God.
In other words, we should set our alarms in the morning – not to go to work, but to seek the kingdom of God, and his righteousness.
We should leave the house in the morning SEEKING THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS.
Our schedule – our calendar – our lives should be centered around SEEKING THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS.
Our Vocabulary – our Wardrobe – Our Relationships – everything should be geared toward seeking the Kingdom of God and His righteousness.
IV. The Promise of God’s Provision
A. About Things – vs. 33b …all these things shall be added unto you.
What things? Food, clothing. Basic necessities.
B. About Tomorrow – vs. 34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.