Despise Not These Little Ones
Matthew 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.
Intro: God is a God to children. One of the biggest lies of Satan is that church, and Christianity and ministry and dedication and commitment and worship is just for adults. It’s not!
The word DESPISE means to think little of, or to look down on.
This word is only used a few times in the Bible.
God told us not to despise several things.
GOD TOLD US NOT TO DESPISE THE PUNISHMENT.
- Job 5:17 Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty:
- Proverbs 3:11 My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:
- Hebrews 12:5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
GOD TOLD US NOT DESPISE NOT OUR PARENTS.
- Proverbs 23:22 Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and despise not thy mother when she is old.
GOD TOLD US NOT DESPISE NOT PROPHESYING.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:20 Despise not prophesyings.
Jesus warned the people not to despise the little ones.
The Bible is filled with stories of kids that not only had a relationship with God, but in many cases, they had an exceptional relationship with God.
In many cases, the children; the young people had a better and closer walk with God than the adults.
Jesus had a soft place in his heart for young people.
Jesus wanted His disciples to understand the importance of young people.
- 35 And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.
- 36 And he took a child, and set him in the midst of them: and when he had taken him in his arms, he said unto them,
- 37 Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.
Don’t despise the little ones because…
I. God Saves Little Ones
SEE text – vs. 3-5
- 3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
- 4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
- 5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
- Matthew 18:14 Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.
Little ones can get saved.
In fact, little one’s set the example of HOW TO BE SAVED.
In fact, Jesus told the adults that they couldn’t get to Heaven unless they became as a child.
- Mark 10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
Little ones can worship God!
- Matthew 21:15 And when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying in the temple, and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David; they were sore displeased,
Why were the children crying? No doubt many had been healed; their parents, neighbors, family had been healed. They were worshipping and praising God.
II. God Speaks to Little Ones
I Samuel 3
- 7 Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, neither was the word of the LORD yet revealed unto him.
- 8 And the LORD called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the LORD had called the child.
- 9 Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, LORD; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place.
- 10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.
III. God Sends Little Ones – Jeremiah 1:5, 6
- 4 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
- 5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
- 6 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.
The only thing worse that older people despising the little ones, is when the little ones despise themselves.
They despise – think little of themselves, when:
1. They don’t respond to God when He wants to save them.
2. They don’t listen to God when He speaks to them.
3. They don’t obey God when He tries to send them.