Choose You This Day
Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
A. Notice the Apparent Conflict – if it seem evil unto you…
Why would it seem evil to serve the Lord?
Try and imagine why a group of people that have experienced God’s blessings for 40 years would think it evil?
B. Notice the Adamant Conclusion – Joshua didn’t ask them if they wanted to; he concluded that they would
It is not a matter of if you will serve the small “g” gods, it is only a matter of which ones you will serve.
If you are not serving God, you are serving the small “g” gods.
C. Notice the Abundant Choices – notice it always involves either small “g” gods, or God.
There are a wide variety of gods to serve.
Joshua is urging them to make their minds up – choose you this day.
Stop putting it off, stop pretending to be in a state of limbo – go ahead and pledge your allegiance!
I want to preach for a few minutes on Choose You This Day
I. We Get to Choose WHOM we Serve
- Exodus 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
- 1 Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.
- Galatians 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
- Colossians 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
II. We Get to Choose WHEN We Serve
- 1 Thessalonians 1:9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;
You can choose to start serving Him immediately after you get saved, which is what we are supposed to do!
Or you if you haven’t been serving Him, you can start now!\
III. We Get to Choose WHY we Serve
A. We Serve because of the Requirement
- Deuteronomy 10:12 And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,
B. We Serve because of the Reward
- Colossians 3:24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
IV. We Get to Choose HOW we Serve
- Psalms 100:2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
- Psalms 2:11 Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
- Romans 12:11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
- Acts 20:19 Serving the Lord with all humility of mind,
Conclusion: Choose you this day. It will either be a small “g” God, or it will be the LORD God. Your choice!