Changing The World Sermon Series
Intro: Let’s start out on the same page. God is all about changing the world.
This morning, it hit me: “Either we can change the world, or the world can change us. It’s our choice.”
My life is literally consumed with this truth.
The world is changing. Fast. It’s unbelievable how much it has changed in the last two years.
The Bible predicted a downward spiraling of things in the end.
- 2 Timothy 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
Our country is unrecognizable.
Churches have morphed into something I can’t even imagine.
Freedoms and liberties that we have had since the late 1700’s are vanishing on a daily basis.
The world is changing at warp speed.
Though the Bible told us that the world would change, it didn’t stop there.
It clearly teaches of God’s desire, and the church’s responsibility to change the world.
In our text, we find a powerful statement.
- Acts 17:6 And when they found them not, they drew Jason and certain brethren unto the rulers of the city, crying, These that have turned the world upside down are come hither also;
God’s word is clear – we were left here to CHANGE THE WORLD!
- Matthew 5:13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
- Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world.
Jesus said that if we were not changing the world, WE ARE GOOD FOR NOTHING! (vs. 13)
I want to ask you a straightforward question.
What are YOU doing to change the world?
Tonight, we are starting a 3-part series on this subject. We could preach for weeks on this subject, but I have broken down this series into three messages.
There are THREE key elements that produce change in the world.
Let’s begin with the first one.
Changing The World Sermon Series Part I
The Introduction of God’s Power
The Bible literally begins with God stepping on the scene and changing the world.
Once His power comes into play, mark it down, change is about to take place.
Once God’s Power is introduced into a situation, or to a person, or to a problem, CHANGE is inevitable.
The first miracle that Jesus performed was anticipated by his mother Mary.
- She didn’t know WHAT He would do.
- She didn’t know WHEN He would to it.
- She didn’t know HOW He would do it.
But she knew one thing, when He made His move, THINGS WOULD CHANGE.
God cannot show up anywhere without making a change.
- Nothing He touches stays the same.
- Nobody He touches stays the same.
- Nowhere He appears stays the same.
From the very first verse of the Bible, God’s impact on everything is bringing about change.
God’s plan and purpose for every person is to change them.
A. His Power Changes Destinations
It starts with changing their eternal destiny.
Changing people’s eternal destination is PRIORITY NUMBER ONE to God.
- 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
This wasn’t an afterthought; it was on the heart of God before creation.
- Hebrews 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
- 8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
- 9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
- John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
B. His Power Changes Doctrine
- Romans 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
- Matthew 7:28 And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:
- Mark 1:27 And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.
- Luke 4:32 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.
C. His Power Changes Desires
- 1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
- 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
- 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
- 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
- 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
D. His Power Changes Dispositions
- Psalm 126:2 Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The LORD hath done great things for them.
E. His Power Changes Descendants
- Psalms 103:17 But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children’s children;
The power of God can change a man’s family tree!
The power of God can change a woman’s family tree!
ILLUSTRATION: Bathsheba was the great, great, great, grandmother of none other than the Lord Jesus Christ.
ILLUSTRATION: Bro. Jack Holden’s 50th spiritual birthday is today. Children and grandchildren serving in the ministry in New Zealand, Canada, Mexico.
My father-in-law got saved 50 years ago and it changed his family tree and the world.