As It Is In Heaven Sermon Series
Matthew 6:10b …Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
V. The Adversary of God’s Will
Intro: Jesus made it very clear; his number one objective was the kingdom of heaven; not setting up a kingdom on earth.
- John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
- John 8:23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world.
It is absolutely essential that God’s people not forget that there are TWO WORLDS.
It is essential for the believer to remember that there are huge contrasts between earth, and heaven.
- 29 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God’s sake,
- 30 Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.
- John 12:25 He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.
- 20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
- 21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
The number one adversary to God’s will on earth is SATAN.
When Jesus prayed for God’s will to be done on earth as it is in heaven, He was very much aware of the fact that the war between God and Satan would certainly come into play.
Jesus wasn’t praying for Satan to change his ways. Jesus was praying for us not to fall for them.
Satan wants to use YOU and ME as pawns in his war with God.
He cannot defeat God.
But he can defeat us.
He can use us to keep God’s will from being done ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN.
A. Satan’s Treachery
Ever since Lucifer was cast out of Heaven, there has been an open war against God’s will.
- 12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
- 13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:
- 14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
Lucifer was cast down to this world. He made this planet his domain.
B. Satan’s Territory
- Jesus called him the “prince of this world” in John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
- He is called “the god of this world” in II Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
- He is called the “rulers of the darkness of this world” in Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
- He is called the “prince of the power of the air” in Ephesians 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
C. Satan’s Tactics
When God created the earth in Genesis 1, Satan made a bid for the souls of mankind.
His ultimate goal was simply to thwart God’s will from being done on earth, as it is in heaven.
- Satan lied
- Satan deceived.
- Satan robbed
- Satan undermined God.
NOTE: Satan attacked God’s Will by attacking God’s Word.
Satan caused Eve to deviate from God’s will by getting her to deviate from God’s Word.
- Psalms 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.
- Psalms 143:10 Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness.
We have to learn to recognize Satan’s tactics.
Direct opposition to God’s will can manifest itself in many forms.
- 31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.
- 32 And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him.
- 33 But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men.
SAVOUREST: to be of the same mind i.e. agreed together, cherish the same views, be harmonious
Conclusion: You and I have to recognize that there is an adversary to God’s will being performed ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN.
We may have to look at some people and say, GET THEE BEHIND ME SATAN!