As It Is In Heaven Sermon Series
Matthew 6:10b …Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
I. Awareness of God’s Will
- Ephesians 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
- Hebrews 13:21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
II. Acceptance of God’s Will
- Luke 22:42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
III. Assimilation of God’s Will
We must go from “thy will be done” to “whosoever shall do the will of God…”
- 31 There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him.
- 32 And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.
- 33 And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren?
- 34 And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
- 35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.
- 13 Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain:
- 14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
- 15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.
- 16 But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil.
IV. The Accomplishment of God’s Will
Thy will BE DONE –
Definition: BE DONE
- to become, i.e. to come to pass, happen
- to arise, appear in history, come upon the stage
- to be made, finished
Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
A. The Possibility of Accomplishing God’s Will
- Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
- Colossians 4:12 Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.
- Ephesians 6:6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;
- 35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.
- 36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
- 37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.
B. The Prerequisite of Accomplishing God’s Will
- I Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.
The number one key to God’s will being done on earth AS IT IS IN HEAVEN is to keep a heavenly minded outlook.
Everything we do should be done through the perspective of God’s Eternal Kingdom – not temporary needs/wants.
- John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
The accomplishment of God’s will hinges on this key phrase: thy kingdom come.
- John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
This model prayer is filled with references to heaven and God’s heavenly kingdom.
- Our Father, which art in HEAVEN
- …Thy KINGDOM come…
- …as it is in HEAVEN.
- For thine is the KINGDOM…
- 14 …your HEAVENLY Father will also forgive…
Jesus never stopped thinking about Heaven.
He never stopped thinking of His life in the perspective of His Father’s will.
- John 8:29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.
- John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.
- John 6:38-40 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
To accomplish the Will of the Father – we MUST arm ourselves with the SAME MIND as Jesus Christ.
C. The Particulars of Accomplishing God’s Will