Are You Sure?
2 Peter 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
Intro: Assurance of Salvation is a serious matter. Much of the Scripture was written so we could be sure.
We believe several key truths.
Salvation is necessary to go to Heaven.
- John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Those that are not saved will spend eternity in the lake of fire.
- 11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
- 12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
- 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
- 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
- 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Salvation is available for everyone.
- 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
- 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for [the sins of] the whole world.
- John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Salvation is free.
- Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Salvation is not by works.
- 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
- 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Salvation cannot be lost.
- John 18:9 That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.
Salvation will produce change.
- Matthew 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
- Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits.
- James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
- 1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
- 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
- 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
A. The Horror of a Counterfeit Assumption
There’s nothing more horrifying to me than for someone to live their life, thinking they are saved and die and go to hell.
Hell will be filled with people that thought they were saved.
They had a profession, but they did not have a possession.
- 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
- 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
- 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
B. The Haunting of a Constant Anxiety
I’ve seen people that were haunted every day of their life over doubting their salvation.
They struggled to get assurance. Their life was one of constant dread and fear.
They lived in torment over this issue.
I John 4
- 14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
- 15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
- 16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
- 17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
- 18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
C. The Happiness of a Confident Assurance
- Hebrews 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
- 1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
As we see in our text this morning, we need to make our calling and election sure.
We need to verify the results!
Paul tells us that there will be some things that will accompany your salvation.
- Hebrews 6:9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.
There will be evidence; proof; fruit that God’s Word tells us will be a result of a true salvation experience.
God’s word has given us ways to make sure that what we say we have is GENUINE SALVATION.
There are many passages in 1 John that were given to help us be assured of our salvation.
There will be…
I. A Following of His Sayings
- John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
- John 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
I John 2
- 3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
- 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
- 5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
- 6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
- 23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
- 24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.
II. A Fervor for the Saints -John 3:14-19
There will be:
A. A Love – vs. 16
- 14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
- 15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
- 16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
B. A Liberality – vs. 17
17 But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
C. A Lifestyle – vs. 18
- 18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
- 19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
- 34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
- 35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
III. A Fellowship of the Spirit
- 1 John 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.
- 1 John 4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
I Corinthians 2
- 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
- 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
- 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
- 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
- 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
- Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
IV. A Forsaking of our Sin
I John 1
- 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
- 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
- I John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
- I John 2:15, 16 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
Conclusion: If these characteristics are not present in your life, I would urge you today to make your salvation experience sure.
- 2 Peter 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: