A Glorious Church Sermon Series Part 5
Ephesians 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Intro: We have looked at:
- The Picture
- The Purging
- The Process
- The Presentation
This morning, we are going to look at the Perfection that God has in store for us.
It is important to note that there are several types of perfection mentioned in regards to the believer.
Perfect – sound, wholesome; complete, morally innocent, having integrity; one who is morally and ethically pure
I. There is the Perfection in regards to Godliness
- Genesis 6:9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
- Genesis 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
- Deuteronomy 18:13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.
- Job 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
II. There is the Perfection in regards to Growth
- Philippians 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
- Colossians 4:12 Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.
- 1 Thessalonians 3:10 Night and day praying exceedingly that we might see your face, and might perfect that which is lacking in your faith?
- 2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Note the characteristics of Christian perfection. (not sinless; but sinning less!)
- Psalms 37:37 Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.
A. Love that is Unafraid
- 1 John 4:17, 18 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
B. Language that is Undamaging
- James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
C. Lusts that are Unfulfilled
- II Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
D. Loyalty that is Unified
- John 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
E. Longing that is Unwavering
- Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
- Luke 6:40 The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.
III. There is the Perfection in regards to Glorification
- Colossians 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:
Paul knew the will of God concerning the church.
Paul wrote Ephesians. He knew that Christ wanted to present to himself a glorious church.
So Paul made it his ministry to preach and teach every man this ultimate goal.
Notice his emphasis of this.
- 11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
- 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
A. The Glorification on Earth
Paul also knew that we can be a glorious church here on earth.
Refer to II Corinthians 3:6-18
NOTE: The glory of the Lord changes us into the same image from glory to glory.
The glory of God rubs off on His people if they will allow it to.
- 1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
- 1 Peter 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
B. The Glorification in Heaven
Note: verses 40-42
There’s the terrestrial glory, and the celestial glory.
Expound I Corinthians 15:35-50
- 20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
- 21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
I John 3
- 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
- 3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
- 17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
- 18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
- 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
- 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.