A Glorious Church Sermon Series Part 3
Ephesians 5:26 …with the washing of the water by the word…
Intro: We have already looked at:
- The Picture – no less than 7 times God compares the relationship between Christ and the church to that of the husband and the wife.
- The Purging – the importance of sanctification and cleansing for the believer cannot be minimized!
- This morning, we will look at the Process by which God does this sanctifying and cleansing.
The process that God has placed His ultimate confidence in is that of the WASHING OF THE WATER BY THE WORD.
God literally compares the Word of God to a process called the “washing of the water”
Let us quickly look at a few facts about water.
- Water is the most valuable resource to man.
- Job 23:12 Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.
- Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
- 70% of the human brain is water
- Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
- Universal solvent: Water can dissolve more substances than any other liquid including sulfuric acid.
- Psalms 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
- 80% of all illness in the developing world is water related.
- Unsafe water kills 200 children every hour.
- Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
I am fascinated by the emphases placed on the Word of God in the Scriptures.
Why does God emphasis His word?
A. Because of Its Preeminence
- Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
B. Because of Its Power
- Jeremiah 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
C. Because of Its Prosperity
- Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
- Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
God has enough confidence in His Word, that it is through His Word that He will sanctify and cleanse the church.
I. The Entrusting of God’s Word
I Peter 4
- 10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
- 11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
II. The Entrance of God’s Word
- Psalms 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.
III. The Enabling of God’s Word
TURN TO II TIMOTHY 3:16-17
A. For Salvation
- II Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
- 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
- 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
- 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
- 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
- 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
B. For Sanctification
- II Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
- Psalms 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
C. For Service
- II Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.