A Glorious Church Sermon Series
A Glorious Church Sermon Series Part 1
Intro: The similarities between our relationship with Christ and the marriage are too numerous to cover in one message. Ephesians 5 makes several really bold statements.
- 23 – Christ is the head of the church
- 24 – Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ…
- 25 – even as Christ loved the church…
- 29 – even as the Lord the church…
- 30 – For we are members of his body, and of his flesh, and of his bones.
- 32 – great mystery…Christ and the church…
One thing is certain. God views his relationship with us much like that of a man and wife.
Let’s examine just a few key elements:
I. The Courtship
- 1 John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.
He saw us, and he loved us.
When He was on the cross – I was on His mind.
In our miserable state, He loved us.
- Jeremiah 31:3 The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.
Make no mistake about it: It was God that initiated the salvation process!
- John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him:
He came looking for us.
- 1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
- 2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
- 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
- 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
II. The Cost – …and gave himself for it.
- Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
It would do us well to remember – God bought us at a slave auction.
Satan had used and abused us until there wasn’t much left.
Jesus came in and paid PREMIUM
- Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
III. The Commitment
The relationship between Christ and the church is permanent.
In today’s society, many times a marriage ends in separation.
One or both of the spouses decide to walk away for whatever reason.
I’m grateful that the relationship between Christ and the church is far more committed than that.
There is no danger of him cheating on us, or letting us down.
- Revelation 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
- Titus 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;
There is no danger of separation.
- 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
- 38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
- 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
There is also no danger of divorce.
- John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
- John 10:29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.
My eternal security is not based on my conduct; but on His commitment.
My eternal security is not based on my faith, but on His faithfulness.
My eternal security does no hinge on my practices, but on His promises.
He gave me EVERLASTING LIFE.
When a man and a woman are married, God’s word says they become ONE FLESH.
That marriage commitment becomes a marriage consummation.
- 5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
- 6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
When we got saved, we became ONE with Christ. NOTICE our TEXT – Ephesians 5:30
We are IN CHRIST
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Christ is IN US.
- Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
- Romans 10:1 tell us that “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.”
- Romans 10:9, 10 says “But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.”
IV. The Communion
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church…
- 1 John 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ