Your Adversary the Devil
I Peter 5:8
Intro: From time to time, it is wise to remind ourselves of who our enemy is.
A lot could be said about him, but tonight, I just want to do a brief review of Satan as our Adversary.
He was your adversary prior to your salvation. Now that you’re saved, his attacks are increased.
I. Our Response
A. Be Sober – this means to be awake and to be serious
Being awake and aware is a sign of discernment and being engaged.
B. Be Vigilant – this means to be watching; alert and looking around
ILLUSTRATION: Jesus told Peter in the Garden of Gethsemane that Satan wanted to sift him. He told Peter to “watch and pray”
- Matthew 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
II. Our Resistance
Your Adversary the Devil wants to…
A. Devour your Motivation – as an accuser, his desire was to destroy their confidence and faith
- Revelation 12:10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
Satan will lie about your past sin, your forgiveness, your position in Christ, your faith in God…
He will accuse – putting you on the DEFENSE rather than on the OFFENCE.
He will have us busy GATHERING EVIDENCE and ARGUING with Him rather than serving God with joy.
B. Devour your Message – I realize this verse is about the unsaved man, but Satan is a master thief…
- Luke 8:12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
Satan is a Master Distracter!
He specializes in snatching away the seed before it can take root.
This is why it is important to LISTEN to the Word and to MEDITATE on the Word.
C. Devour your Morals
- 1 Corinthians 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
D. Devour your Ministry – I Thess. 2:18
- 1 Thessalonians 2:18 Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.
III. Our Reassurance– vs. 9 … knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
One of the biggest lies of Satan is convicing you that nobody is experiencing what you’re experiencing.
Nobody is going through what you’re going through.
Nobody faces the temptations that you’re facing.
That is a lie! Satan is doing it to EVERY born again believer.