You Ask Me How I Know He Lives
Acts 17:31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.
Intro: Paul is preaching on Mars Hill to a group of superstitious idol worshippers. He begins to describe
A few things about this God that they did not know: HIM DECLARE I UNTO YOU:
- Notice His Authority – vs. 24 God made the world and all things therein; He is the Lord of heaven and earth
- Notice His Abode – vs. 24 …dwelleth not in temples made with hands.
- Notice His Autonomy – vs. 25 …neither is worshipped with men’s hand, as though he needed any thing
- Notice His Administration – vs. 25, 26 …he giveth to all life and breath and all things
- Notice His Availability – vs. 27 – that they should seek the Lord…and find him…
- Notice His Admonition – vs. 19, 30 …we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold…repent
- Notice His Appointment – vs. 31 he hath appointed a day in the which he will judge the world in righteousness
- Notice His Assurance – vs. 31 – he hath given assurance unto all men – IN THAT HE RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD
Who is he talking about? He is talking about THAT MAN WHOM HE HATH ORDAINED – Jesus Christ!
Paul was confident about the fact of the resurrection.
People’s response to the doctrine of the resurrection.
- Some Mock – vs. 32,
- Some Procrastinate – vs. 32,
- Some Believe – vs. 34
If you were to ask the Apostle Paul how he could believe in the doctrine of the resurrection, he might give you an answer like this:
You Ask Me How I Know He Lives? He lives…
I. Because of His Revelation to Me
I Cor. 15:1-8
- 1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
- 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
- 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
- 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
- 5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
- 6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
- 7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
- 8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
Paul was sure that Jesus had risen from the grave because he had personally witnessed it himself.
But what about you and me?
Can we believe without having ever personally witnessed the resurrection?
Notice what Jesus said to Thomas.
- 20 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
- 28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
- 29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
Peter spoke of his personal experiences with Jesus in 2 Peter 1:16-21
Peter spoke of his personal experience of SEEING and HEARING.
But nothing he SAW or HEARD is as reliable as the INSPIRED WORD OF GOD.
You ask me how I know He lives? I’ll tell you!
Through the eye of faith, I have seen the resurrected Savior!
1 Peter 1:7-9
- 7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
- 8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
- 9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.
NOTE: He is not like some of your blind dates that you met online and used someone else’s profile picture…
You Ask Me How I Know He Lives? I know He lives…
II. Because of His Response to Me
- 14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
- 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
- 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
What a blessing it is to be able to be reminded of His resurrection and reassured of His resurrection EVERY TIME I PRAY!
In the Old Testament, the nation of Israel had to take their requests to the priests.
They would intercede on the behalf of the nation.
Once a year, they would go behind the veil in the Tabernacle and offer up atonement for the sins of the people
But at Calvary, the veil was rent in twain and we were granted access to the Father through Jesus Christ.
We now have a high priest that has passed into the heavens.
- His Response to my Infirmities – he is touched with the feeling – he sympathizes with my weakness
- His Response to my Intercession – that we may obtain mercy
- His Response to my Insufficiencies – find grace to help in time of need
You ask me how I know He lives?? I know He lives because when I pray, He hears my prayer and answers them!
When I pray, He responds to my infirmities, He responds to my intercessions, and He responds to my insufficiencies.
You Ask Me How I Know He Lives? I know He lives…
III. Because of His Relationship with Me
One of our ladies reached out to me this past week and told me of a discussion she was involved in where a person said that there was no place in the Bible that taught us that we can have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
I immediately thought of about a half dozen passages of scripture that teaches otherwise.
This is one of them. This is Jesus speaking to the Church of Laodicea.
- Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
sup – means to eat supper (not dinner)
I know He lives because of the communion that I have with Him.
I know He lives because of the fellowship that I enjoy with Him.
- 1 John 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
Conclusion: He wants to have a personal relationship with you today. Will you allow the resurrected Savior into your life? Will you open the door today?