Who Is The Lord?
And Pharaoh said, Who is the LORD, that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the LORD, neither will I let Israel go.
- Notice Pharaoh’s Introduction to the Lord – vs. 1a Thus saith the Lord God of Israel…
- Notice Pharaoh’s Ignorance of the Lord – vs. 2a I know not the Lord…
- Notice Pharaoh’s Insolence to the Lord – vs. 2c …neither will I let Israel go.
Without a doubt, Pharaoh’s question is loaded. Who IS the Lord? Let us give three simple yet very profound answers that question.
I. The Lord is the Creator of all Men
- Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
We did not evolve from monkeys!
JOKE: A little girl asked her mother, ‘How did the human race appear?’ The mother answered, ‘God made Adam and Eve and they had children and so was all mankind made.’
Two days later the girl asked her father the same question. The father answered, ‘Many years ago there were apes from which the human race evolved.’
The confused girl returned to her mother and said, Mom how is it possible that you told me the human race was created by God, and Dad said they developed from apes?’ The mother answered, ‘Well, dear, it is very simple. I told you about my side of the family and your father told you about his.’
The Origin of Species (or more completely, On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life), published on 24 November 1859, is a work of by Charles Darwin.
JOKE: One day the zoo-keeper noticed that the orangutan was reading two books – the Bible and Darwin’s The Origin of Species. In surprise he asked the ape, “Why are you reading both those books”?
“Well,” said the orangutan, “I just wanted to find out if I was my brother’s keeper or my keeper’s brother.”
Evolution is man’s way of trying to dismiss man’s accountability to God.
Evolution is a religion of man in his attempt to remove God from the equation.
Man’s effort to eliminate God from Creation is
David said this:
- Psalms 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
Notice God’s statement in Isaiah 45:
- Isaiah 45:9 Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?
II. The Lord is the Savior of all Men
What is so amazing about this God – this Lord – is His passion for sinful man.
He didn’t just create man – He created a way for man to get to Him.
The God of Heaven made it possible for His creation to
- 1 Timothy 4:10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.
The Lord – the God of Heaven – became man so that He could bridge the gap between God and man.
III. The Lord is the Judge of all Men
A. He is the Judge of the Believer
- Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
- Romans 14:10-12 …for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
B. He is the Judge of the Unbeliever
- Revelation 20:11, 12 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.