When They Saw Their Boldness
Acts 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
A. They were Secluded – vs. 3 And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide.
One of Satan’s most effective tools to discourage God’s people is to isolate them from others.
Notice: There are well over 8,000 members in this church, but these two men of God got cut off.
They laid hands on them, and put them in hold.
They had to spend a night in jail for preaching the gospel.
They had to spend a night in isolation for healing a crippled man.
B. Then they were Surrounded – vs. 5-7 …And when they had set them in the midst,
Once they were brought out of isolation, they found themselves surrounded.
Notice who all was there: rulers, elders, scribes, Annas, Caiaphas, John, Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high priest
In other words, everybody that was against them.
They were set in the midst – vs. 7 and asked to give an explanation of what happened.
Isn’t it interesting that the crowd that would isolate and surround you WON’T COME TO CHURCH to see it for themselves??
Imagine if Peter had said, “If you want to know so bad, show up at church Sunday!”
This was creating the illusion that they were greatly outnumbered.
It was an intimidation tactic.
C. But they were Spirit-filled – vs. 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them…
Peter stood up, FILLED WITH THE HOLY GHOST.
I’m grateful that the Holy Ghost isn’t a casualty to being isolated.
The Holy Spirit isn’t a casualty to being intimidated.
The Holy Spirit can operate just fine surrounded by the doubters and deniers.
The Holy Spirit is what emboldens a believer that is secluded and surrounded.
When They Saw Their Boldness…
I. The Evidence of the Miracle was Undeniable – vs. 14-16
- 14 And beholding the man which was healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.
- 15 But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves,
- 16 Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it.
It’s very difficult – in fact, it is impossible to deny what God does, when He does it.
They stood there in verse 14 – beholding the man that was healed, and THEY COULD SAY NOTHING AGAINST IT!!
NOTICE – vs. 16
- indeed, a notable miracle has been done
- It has been manifest to all
- we cannot deny it!
They could not stop the miracle, or deny it, but they could try and stop and deny them the right to talk about it.
II. The Education of the Men was Underestimated – vs. 14
They were looked at as “unlearned and ignorant” men.
The unsaved have a misguided perspective on education obviously.
Could you honestly say that these disciples that had spent 3 ½ years with Jesus were “unlearned”?
Remember what Jesus said to Peter in Matthew 16.
- 13 ¶ When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
- 14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
- 15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
- 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
- 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
The unbelievers have an inflated opinion of their own intellect.
- 2 Timothy 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
I’ll take a supernatural instructor over the education of man any day.
- John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
- 1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
III. The Essence of the Message was Unmistakable – vs. 7-12
A. Jesus is the Source
They asked in verse 7 – BY WHAT POWER OR BY WHAT NAME have ye done this?
- 10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
B. Jesus is the Stone
- 11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
C. Jesus is the Salvation
- 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.