They Shed Innocent Blood
Psalm 106:37, 38 Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils, And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan: and the land was polluted with blood.
Intro: In this chapter, the Psalmist David is thanking God for his mercy (vs. 1). He then begins to list the long litany of offences that the people of God had committed against God.
He starts in verse 6 and goes all the way down to verse 42 listing the sins, the offences, the rebellion and abominations of the people of God.
The list of sins are too many to list at this point.
But at verse 34, the list of sins and iniquities seem to hit a climax with David.
He begins to give the sins that resulted because they failed to destroy the heathen nations when they came into Canaan.
A. They Lost their Identity among the Heathen – vs. 35a “…they were mingled among the heathen…”
Because they intermarried with the strangers and heathens, they lost their identity.
B. They Learned the Influence of the Heathen – vs. 35b “…and learned their works…” Through public school and Hollywood.
- Daniel 1:4 Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skilful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding science, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king’s palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans.
C. They Lived for the Idols of the Heathen – vs. 36 “…they served their idols…”
The heathen do not hate religion; they hate God and God’s people. (vs. 41)
Remember the words of Joshua:
- Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that [were] on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
People do not have a problem serving – they have a problem with God.
D. They Loved the Inventions of the Heathen – vs. 39 “…went a whoring with their own inventions.”
- Vs. 39 Thus were they defiled with their own works, and went a whoring with their own inventions.
They enjoyed the heathen lifestyle so much that they started devising their own inventions: their own works.
They went from following the ungodly inventions around them to forming their own.
They moved past being defiled with the works of the heathen and started being defiled with their own works.
They learned their works and even improved on them.
We are talking about God’s people here!!
But the point I want to focus on this morning is found in verse 37 and 38.
Verse 37 and 38 reveals the depravity of Israel.
I want to preach on this aspect of the passage – “They Shed Innocent Blood.”
The chapter starts out with a plain and simple fact – see verse 6: “We have sinned with our fathers, we have committed iniquity, we have done wickedly.”
This is not a POLITICAL ISSUE – This is a sin issue.
This is not a SOCIAL ISSUE – this is a sin issue.
This matter of shedding innocent blood is an abomination to God.
- 16 These six [things] doth the LORD hate: yea, seven [are] an abomination unto him:
- 17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
In 1973, the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that the killing of the unborn was protected by the Constitution.
The United States marks 47 years of legalized abortion in all fifty states at any time for any reason throughout pregnancy on January 22nd, the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision.
Since that time, there have been an estimated 61,628,584 abortions that have destroyed the lives of unborn children. (as of January 2020)
The number means there are more than 2,362 abortions daily and 98 abortions per hour every hour in the United States.
Not to mention the use of aborted babies for the creation of vaccines.
Not to mention the selling of the body parts of aborted babies by Planned Parenthood and other organizations.
- Psalms 106:37 Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils,
NOTE: Pro-Abortion proponents have repackaged it as “women’s right to reproductive health care.”
Abortion is not health care!
We as a nation have digressed from killing unborn babies to allowing babies born alive to die if that is what the parents want.
ILLUSTRATION: Appearing as a guest on WTOP-FM, Virginia Governor Ralph Northam said the fierce reaction to the bill was “really blown out of proportion.” Asked about a woman requesting abortion at the moment of childbirth, he responded:
“When we talk about third-trimester abortions, these are done with the consent of obviously the mother, with the consent of the physician—more than one physician, by the way—and it’s done in cases where there may be severe deformities. There may be a fetus that’s non-viable. If a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.”
This past week, President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday that he will sign an executive order to ensure that babies who are born alive receive proper medical care.
Although the president didn’t go into detail about what the order would do, proposals earlier this year in the House and Senate would require health care professionals to treat a baby born alive after an attempted abortion the same as medical professionals would treat any other newborn.
“I will always defend the sacred right to life,” Trump said in remarks at the 16th annual National Catholic Prayer Breakfast, held virtually this year.
“Today I am announcing that I will be signing the ‘born alive’ executive order to ensure that all precious babies born alive—no matter their circumstances—receive the medical care that they deserve,” the president said. “This is our sacrosanct moral duty.”
Source: – https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/09/23/trump-to-sign-born-alive-executive-order-to-protect-abortion-survivors/
How did we get to the place in this country that giving medical care to babies that are already born becomes a matter that has to be decided by Executive Order?
What happened to the Hippocratic Oath of medical doctors?
What the Bible says about the Unborn:
God sees the Unborn
- 14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
- 15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
- 16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
God is the God of the Unborn
- Psalms 22:10 I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother’s belly.
God has a plan for you before you were born:
- Galatians 1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb, and called [me] by his grace,
God speaks to the Unborn
- 41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:
- 42 And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.
- 43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
- 44 For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
I want to address the inconsistency of God’s people, and the heathen in America.
They do not hide their agenda.
This past Wednesday, California Governor Gavin Newsom announced a new executive order that will prohibit the sale of all new gasoline powered vehicles beginning in 2035.
They have banned straws and big gulps.
They want to ban coal, and fracking, and guns and free speech and freedom of worship.
The heathen in our land want to ban everything but if someone mentions banning abortion, they go insane!
Yesterday, President Trump nominated a pro-life judge to the Supreme Court.
Judge Amy Coney Barrett has ruled several times already in important cases involving abortion.
Barrett signed a public letter in 2015 that emphasized “the value of human life from conception to natural death.”
In an interview with Notre Dame Magazine, she also stated that “life begins at conception.”
Never before have we been this close to putting an end to this abomination.
We should boldly declare our intentions to put a stop to the wholesale slaughter of the unborn.
They will fight the confirmation of this judge based completely on their love affair with abortion.
They know she is pro-life, and so that is enough to disqualify her.
We should be vocal and go scorched-earth in our plans. Make no bones about it.
We should without apology announce that as soon as we can, we will overturn Roe V. Wade.
The people of God MUST get out and vote in PRO-LIFE CANDIDATES.
To sit idly by and not participate in this process is in my estimation aiding and abetting the abortionists.
I would vote for a one-eyed orangutan with the mange if he was pro-life at this point.
Let me close with some good news.
1. God’s people can turn the tide.
- 1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
We can effectively change the course of history TWO WAYS:
A. Through Prayer
B. Through Participation (in the election process)
2. The millions of unborn babies that have been slaughtered are in heaven.
After David’s newborn baby died, notice what he said:
- 2 Samuel 12:23 But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.
3. Every time in history where babies were killed en masse, God sent a Deliverer for his people shortly after!
In Egypt, Pharaoh had all the baby boys killed. (Exodus 1)
Through that time of horrific bloodshed, Moses was born.
That was the man that God sent to lead his people out of Egypt.
In Matthew 2:16, Herod had all the children two years old and under killed in Bethlehem and in all the coasts.
That was at the birth of Jesus Christ – our Deliverer.
The good news is that for 47 years, babies have been slaughtered in this country.
I believe that it will be any day now that God will send a Deliverer!!
I am looking for the second-coming of Jesus Christ!
4. If you have be a part of the decision to have an abortion, God will forgive you!
Whether you are a woman that has had an abortion, or a man who pressured his girlfriend or wife to have an abortion, or a parent or grandparent that encouraged or supported that decision, God will forgive you of that today.
A famous person once said, “Abortion has two victims; the baby and the mother.”
God is a forgiving God – a longsuffering and merciful God.
He will gladly forgive you today of that if you will ask him!
- John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.