The Watchman On The Wall
A. His Recruitment – it was during a time of judgment
B. His Relationship – vs.2 – a man of their coasts;
He had to be a MAN; not a woman, not a wimp, not a wannabe, but a warrior!
He had to be familiar with the
- Boundaries; he had to know the country
- Brethren; had to be able to tell them apart
- Battle; he had to be able to recognize the sword coming upon the land
- Backroads; he knew where the enemy would come in; not down Main Street
C. His Responsibility – vs. 3 to sound the alarm; to warn the people
NOTE: Too many watchmen on the wall today that won’t sound the alarm.
- 9 All ye beasts of the field, come to devour, yea, all ye beasts in the forest.
- 10 His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber.
- 11 Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter.
- 12 Come ye, say they, I will fetch wine, and we will fill ourselves with strong drink; and to morrow shall be as this day, and much more abundant.
I. His Warning was Delivered – vs. 3-9
A. The Commission of the Watchman – to blow the trumpet
SEE EZEKIEL 3:4-9 – I will make your head as hard as theirs; do not fear them!!
GOD GIVE US MORE HARDHEADED PREACHERS!!!
- Ezekiel 3:17 – I have made thee a watchman; give them warning from me!
B. The Choice of the Warned – vs. 4, 5
- You can listen to the warning or not; the choice is yours.
- The watchman cannot make that choice for you.
C. The Consequences of Waiting
- Your blood will be required.
- The consequences are deadly.
II. His Woes were Detailed – vs. 23-29
22 – He came to me in the morning, and my mouth was opened, I was no more dumb.
vs. 25 – Wherefore say unto them, “Thus saith the Lord God…”
- 25 Ye eat with the blood – God’s people were eating what the heathen were eating
- 25 Ye lift up your eyes toward your idols – they were looking at what the heathen were looking at
- 25 Ye shed blood – they were guilty of ending life; they weren’t giving life; they were taking it
- 26 Ye stand upon your sword – they were not fighting
- 26 Ye work abomination – feminine gender; influenced by temple prostitutes
- 26 Ye defile every one his neighbor’s wife – wife swapping; immorality; adultery; sexual immorality; no commitment; not dedication; drinking water from every cistern
III. His Words were Disregarded – vs. 31-33
A. The Deceitfulness of the People – vs. 30 – still talking against thee by the walls
31 With their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after covetousness
B. The Desires of the People – vs. 30, 31 – a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument
- preaching becomes a source of entertainment
- $632 billion on entertainment in 2017;
- Man! You gotta come hear our preacher!! (vs. 30)
- Entertainment has entered the church; charging admission; concerts; etc.
C. The Disregard of the People – vs. 31-33 – they hear thy words, but they do them not
- Ezekiel 3:7 They will not hearken unto thee, for they will not hearken unto me…
Conclusion: vs. 33 And when this cometh to pass, (lo, it will come) then shall they know that a prophet hath been among them.
God takes it serious that the people have a watchman.
They may not take it serious, but He does.
At the Judgment Seat, He will mete out judgment, knowing they had been warned.