The Problem with the Truth
I. It is Attacked by False Teachers – Galatians 3:1; 5:7
Twice in this book, Paul acknowledged the spiritual warfare that is involved when it comes to truth.
- Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth…?
The word “BEWITCHED” is found only three times in Scripture, the first two is done by a sorcerer.
- Acts 8:9 But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:
- Acts 8:11 And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched them with sorceries.
- Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
Notice this reference in chapter 5
- Galatians 5:7 Ye did run well, who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?
Paul acknowledged in verse 8 that this persuasion didn’t come from God!
II. It Affects People’s Feelings – Galatians 4:12-16
Notice Paul’s observation at how the truth can make people change how they feel about you.
- 12 ¶ Brethren, I beseech you, be as I am; for I am as ye are: ye have not injured me at all.
- 13 Ye know how through infirmity of the flesh I preached the gospel unto you at the first.
- 14 And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.
- 15 Where is then the blessedness ye spake of? for I bear you record, that, if it had been possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me.
- 16 Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
People change when confronted with the truth.
- Acts 5:33 When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them.
- Acts 7:54 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth.
They become uncomfortable. They begin to avoid you. They make excuses for not being there.
The preaching and the teaching that they use to love before has now become a nuisance.
III. It is Accompanied by Freedom – Galatians 5:1
Freedom, as awesome as it sounds, does not appeal to everyone.
Paul warned them that the lies they were listening to would bring them into bondage.
- Galatians 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Jesus said – John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
I have concluded that some people just don’t want to be free.
- 2 Timothy 2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.