The New Birth
Intro: A woman went to hear D. L. Moody on multiple occasions. Every time she went to hear him, he preached the same message. He preached the message “Ye Must Be Born Again!”. She approached him and asked him why he preached that message so often. He simply replied, “Because ye must be born again!”
WHAT THE NEW BIRTH IS NOT:
- Denomination – it is not through church membership or baptism; Jesus was talking to Nicodemus!
- Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
- Graduation – gradually becoming saved over time; that is contrary to Scripture
- you’re either saved or you are lost – 2 Cor. 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:
- you’re either blind or you can see – 2 Cor. 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,
- you’re either in darkness or you are in light – Ephesians 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
- you’re either dead or you are alive – Ephesians 2:1, 5 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
- Deification – becoming a god, like the Mormons and Hindus believe
- Genesis 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
- Reformation – turning over a new leaf; becoming a better person
- Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us,
- Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
- Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags;
WHAT THE NEW BIRTH IS:
- Fertilization – the seed of the gospel is planted in the heart of a person.
- Matthew 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
- 1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
- 1 Corinthians 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
- John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Illustration: There are 5 kingdoms. Mineral, plant, animal, human and Divine.
None of these 5 kingdoms can elevate themselves to the next, superior kingdom in their own power.
The mineral cannot become a plant. The plant cannot become an animal. The animal cannot become a human. The human cannot become a part of the Divine kingdom.
BUT – the superior kingdom can elevate the kingdom below it. For example:
The plant can pull the mineral out of the soil up into the plant and make it part of the plant.
The animal can eat the plant and make it a part of the animal.
Then we go to the steakhouse and make that animal a part of the human kingdom.
Then God can reach down and get a hold of sinful man and pull him up into the divine kingdom.
- II Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
- Emancipation – set free from the law of sin and death; loosed from sin’s chains; freedom
- Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
- Galatians 4:3-7 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world: But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
- Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
HOW THE NEW BIRTH IS LIKENED UNTO THE NATURAL BIRTH
I. Birth is Fair
It is not based on your financial status – Rich and poor
It is not based on your race or skin color – black and white
It is not based on your station in life – bond or free
Thank God the ground is level at the foot of the cross!
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Some are not elected to be saved and others elected to damnation.
God has made the New Birth available to everyone.
- 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
- 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
II. Birth is Free
It doesn’t cost the person being born ONE RED CENT!
Don’t get me wrong. Birth is expensive. It costs a lot. But it is free to the one being born!
The New Birth is a free gift from God.
- Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- Romans 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
- Romans 5:16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
- Romans 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
You can’t buy it.
You can’t earn it.
You can’t inherit it from your parents.
You can’t do enough to deserve it.
It is a free gift!
III. Birth is Fresh
You’ve never seen a white-headed baby born!
You’ve never seen a baby born with wrinkles and false teeth and yellow toenails.
Never seen a sheriff slapping handcuffs on a newborn baby!
A baby is born with no history.
No crimes; no violation of the law.
- Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
IV. Birth is Final
Once a person is born, they cannot be unborn.
Nothing they ever do can make them unborn or change who their father is.
Salvation is final.
A child of God can never be a non-child of God.
IV. Birth is Fantastic
A new child is always an occasion to celebrate.
The miracle of life is something!
I can distinctly remember each of my five children being born.
JOKE: I remember when Marissa was born running down the hall shouting, “It’s a daddy! It’s a daddy! I’m a girl! I’m a girl!”
What a celebration!
- Luke 15:10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.
Conclusion: Jesus said to Nicodemus – Ye Must Be Born Again!