The House that Wisdom Built Sermon Series
Prov. 24:3 Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding it is established:
Intro: There are two words that I want to focus on this morning as we begin this new series on the home. These two words are “builded” and “established”. These two words are actually synonymous.
- Builded – to build, to establish, to make permanent
- Established – to be set up, be established, be fixed; be stable, be secure, be enduring
That’s where we want to begin in this series.
The House that Wisdom Builds is Built to Endure
Wisdom builds a home that will endure.
One of the things I learned when I was building houses was the importance of building for endurance.
When building a house, you build a strong foundation.
When wisdom builds a house, it does it properly; permanently.
Wisdom doesn’t build shacks, and lean-to’s and shanties.
Wisdom builds something solid, something real, something of worth and substance.
Turn to Psalm 112:1-10
I. An Enduring Fear – vs. 1 Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord
Definition of “feareth”: to fear, be afraid; to stand in awe of, be awed; to fear, reverence, honour, respect
- Psalms 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.
A house that wisdom builds is build with a healthy fear of God.
A reverential fear that permeates every area of the home.
Verse 1 says that he delighteth greatly in his commandments.
This is an atmosphere where the precepts of God are not despised; but they are a delight.
This is a home that is firmly based on the teachings of the Word of God.
- God’s precepts ARE HIGHLY RESPECTED!!
- God’s principles ARE HIGHLY RESPECTED!!
- God’s paths ARE HIGHLY RESPECTED!!
- God’s preferences ARE HIGHLY RESPECTED!!
- God’s position on things ARE HIGHLY RESPECTED!!
It is a reverential fear that lasts all week. Not just on Sunday morning.
II. An Enduring Family – vs. 2 His seed shall be mighty upon the earth; the generation of the upright shall be blessed.
When wisdom builds a house, it produces a family that can stand the test of time.
God promised in Psalm 112 that the God fearing man would produce a family that shall be mighty.
MIGHTY: champion, chief, excel, giant, men’s, mightiest, strongest
God said that the house that wisdom builds will produce a family of champions; excellence.
What an encouragement! What a promise!
In a time where there is very little commitment in the home, God wants to build homes that endure.
- Husbands committed to their wives.
- Wives committed to their husbands.
- Parents that are committed to their children.
- Children that are committed to their parents.
- Families that are committed to God.
Satan is the instigator of division, strife, splintered families, divorce, and unfaithfulness.
That is not God’s plan. It never has been.
The Bible is clear. Marriage is a covenant between a man and his wife and God.
- Mark 10:7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
God intended for man and wife to be married for life.
And God intended for families to stay together.
God never intended for children to run away from home and live with other people and on the streets.
Mark 10:7 says that a man shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife.
The home is a sanctuary from the world, evil influences and temptation.
The house that wisdom builds is a haven from the world and its wickedness.
III. An Enduring Faith – vs. 6, 7
Vs. 6 – Surely he shall not be moved for ever.
MOVED: to totter, shake, slip, be moved, be overthrown, to dislodge, let fall, drop, to be greatly shaken
A house that is built on wisdom is one that is built on faith.
The foundation has been placed in Someone that is far greater than any problem.
The homes of the ungodly are built on emotion, fear, lust, greed, and selfish desires.
The home that is built by wise men is founded on something that never changes – God.
Notice verse 7, 8 – He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD. His heart is established, he shall not be afraid, until he see his desire upon his enemies.
NOTE: The Hebrew word for “he shall not be afraid” is the exact same word for “fear” in verse 1.
The house that wisdom builds will produce a reverential fear of God – not of circumstances.
Bad tidings are everywhere.
- On the news
- In the paper
- On the radio
- On your voicemail
- In your Inbox
- In your bank statement
- In your mailbox
- In conversations with friends and family
A wise man that fears God is not moved by these things; his heart is fixed.
FIXED: to be established, be stable, be secure, be enduring
Conclusion: This concept of endurance is used repeatedly in this chapter.
- 2 – his seed shall be mighty
- 3 – His righteousness endureth for ever
- 6 – surely he shall not be moved for ever; the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance
- 7 – his heart is fixed
- 8 – his heart is established
- 9 – his righteousness endureth for ever
If you’ve never been born again; never put your faith in trust in Christ, why not let him replace that temporary life for one that will last. Why not let him give you the gift of eternal life?