So Walk Ye In Him
Colossians 2:6, 7
A. Paul’s Warfare – vs. 1 great conflict for you
B. Paul’s Wish – vs. 1, 2 That their hearts might be:
- Paul wished for Comfort – That their hearts might be comforted,
- Paul wished for Charity – being knit together in love,
- Paul wished for Comprehension – and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding,
C. Paul’s Warning – vs. 4 – lest any should beguile thee with enticing words.
D. Paul’s Witness – vs. 5 I am with you in the spirit…beholding your order and…faith
Our theme this year is “Walk Worthy”. See Col. 1:10 –
The greatest way that you and I can be worthy in our walk is to walk IN CHRIST.
What does that mean? How would we do that?
I. It is a Conditional Walk – vs. 6 …as ye have received Christ
The prerequisite to “walk in Him” is you must first receive Him.
Salvation is the key ingredient to the Christian life.
We have too many people trying to walk in Christ and they have never received Him.
It is impossible to live the Christian life apart from a genuine salvation experience.
II. It is a Cultivated Walk – vs. 7 rooted
NOTE: Rooted – to cause to strike roots; to render firm; to fix, establish; to cause a person or thing to be thoroughly grounded
NOTE: Roots have two basic functions – to absorb water and nurtrients, and to anchor a plant to the ground
If we allow God’s word to ground us and to take root, we will
III. It is a Constructed Walk – vs. 7 …built up…
BUILT UP: to build upon, build up
- 1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
IV. It is a Confident Walk – vs. 7 …stablished in the faith
STABLISHED: to make firm, establish, confirm, make sure
You will never Walk In Christ as long as you are second-guessing what you say you believe.
If you have an unwavering faith in the Word of God, and understand just how powerful that faith is, you can!
NOTICE verse 2 – the full assurance of understanding
- 2 Thessalonians 2:17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.
V. It is a Cooperating Walk – vs. 7 …as ye have been taught
Hearing the truth and yielding to it is essential.
If God has allowed you the tremendous opportunity to be exposed to His Word, we should cooperate with it!
This means we are not critical, doubtful, negligent, or disobedient.
VI. It is a Continual Walk – vs. 7 …abounding therein with thanksgiving
ABOUNDING – to increase; to exceed; overflow
Abounding in what?? Abounding in what you have been taught!
We are stablished and abounding in what we have been taught and thankful for it!
- Thankful for our salvation.
- Thankful that God allowed us access to the truth.
- Thankful for the men of God that preached it and taught it to us.
- Thankful for the opportunity to live for Him
Conclusion: Are you walking in Christ? Have you received Christ? Have you had access to the truth and are you rooted and stablished in it?