(This message was followed up with a slide presentation of Pastor Shiflett’s missions trip the Philippines)
Intro: I love how Paul and Barnabas returned to their home church to report MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! Notice verse 26 And thence sailed to Antioch, from whence they had been recommended to the grace of God for the work which they fulfilled. This means they accomplished what they set out to do.
I. Paul’s Recommendation – vs. 26 …from whence they had been recommended…
RECOMMEND: to deliver to one something to keep, use, take care of, manage
We notice this word used twice; here and in chapter 15:40
Both times is says they were “recommended unto the grace of God”.
Meaning they had been commissioned or sent by their church to deliver the Grace of God.
We don’t think about the grace of God being something you can deliver.
Notice Paul’s words here:
- Colossians 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.
Notice this verse:
- Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
To deliver the message of Saving Grace – Eph. 2:8, 9
To deliver the message of Sanctifying Grace – Titus 2:11
II. Paul’s Rehearsal – vs. 27 …they rehearsed all that God had done with them
REHEARSED: to announce, make known; to report, bring back tidings,
- Preached the Gospel – vs. 21
- Taught many – vs. 21
- Confirming the souls of the disciples – vs. 22
- Exhorting them to continue in the faith – vs. 22
- Ordained elders in every church – vs. 23
- Prayed with fasting – vs. 23
- Commended them to the Lord – vs. 23
III. Paul’s Rejoicing – vs. 27c – how he had opened the door of faith…
There’s nothing more exciting than an open door.
God’s people should always rejoice over an open door.
- 1 Corinthians 16:9 For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries.