Keys to Influence
I. A Remembrance of the Scripture – vs. 17
- 17 But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
How can we remember? Read, meditate, memorize, rehearse
The word of God is what changes lives.
If we are going to make a difference; we need a knowledge of the Scripture.
We need to be able to remember and point others to the Word of God.
- 25 Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
- 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
- 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Before the Word of God can change others, we must allow it to change us!
II. A Rejection of the Sensual – vs. 18, 19
- 18 How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
- 19 These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
The word of God points out the conduct that is unacceptable to God.
It is anything that appeals to our ‘UNGODLY LUSTS’.
It is anything that is SENSUAL – rather than spiritual.
NOTE: if it is SENSUAL, then it is not SPIRITUAL.
We have to stop being governed by our natural senses, and allow the Holy Spirit to lead us.
Those that walk after their own lusts are making a mockery of spiritual things.
We cannot be an agent of change if we allow our natural man to dictate our walk.
III. A Revitalizing of Self – vs. 20
- 20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Before you can help build others, you must learn to build up yourself.
Before you can strengthen other’s faith, you need to revitalize your own faith.
Maintaining your MOST HOLY FAITH is key to living the Christian life.
Your battery will run down if you don’t.
Your strength will fail if you don’t.
You will grow weary in well-doing and faint if you don’t.
See – the Christian life is rough on the flesh.
If you try and do it in the flesh, you won’t last.
You must learn to build up yourself on your most holy faith.
HOW DO YOU WE DO THAT?
By praying IN THE HOLY GHOST!
This means a hot and fervent prayer life.
Not a weak, spasmodic, inconsistent prayer life.
You won’t make it if you don’t learn to pray in the Holy Ghost.
- Prayer refreshes your spiritual man.
- Prayer revitalizes your walk with God.
- Prayer reinvigorates your zeal and fire to serve God.
- Prayer reinforces your purpose and commitment.
You won’t be able to help anybody, anywhere, anytime without prayer!
IV. A Recognition of the Spiritual – vs. 21
- 21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
Keep yourselves – this speaks of guarding; safekeeping; give attention to
Have a God-consciousness.
Don’t take the love of God and the mercy of God for granted.
Or as Paul would say over and over – WALK WORTHY.
Live a life of appreciation for the love of God.
Live daily appreciating the blessings of God’s mercy.
V. A Regard for Souls – vs. 22, 23
- 22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
- 23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
The life of the believer will impact lives in two immeasurable ways:
- A Life of Compassion
Seeing people in need, and having a heart of love and compassion for them.
Compassion isn’t man-made.
It isn’t worked up.
It is a true, selfless love for others in need.
You and I must have compassion if we are going to make a difference.
- A Life of Conversion
Having a soul-consciousness that recognizes the need of the lost.
Let’s get real. People need saving.
God saves, but He uses people!
We need to pull them out of the fire.
They are on their way to Hell. Do we care??