1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
I. Paul’s Explanation
A. Paul explained his Irreverence – vs. 13a
Blasphemer: speaking evil, slanderous, reproachful, railing, abusive
Persecutor: one that persecutes
Injurious: an insolent man; one who, uplifted with pride, either heaps insulting language upon others or does them some shameful act of wrong
B. Paul explained his Ignorance – vs. 13b
- Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
C. Paul explained his Indebtedness – vs. 14
- 14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
- Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
- Psalms 34:6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
II. Paul’s Exaltation
- 15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
A. Jesus Saves is a statement of Promise – This is a faithful saying…
B. Jesus Saves is a statement of Preeminence – …worthy of all acceptation…
- Acts 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
- Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
C. Jesus Saves is a statement of Purpose – …Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners…
SEE Luke 19:10
D. Jesus Saves is a statement of Power – …of whom I am chief.
III. Paul’s Expectation
- 16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
Paul had no doubt in his mind why Jesus saved Him.
He knew that Jesus saved him, so he could then use Paul to see others get saved.
Paul knew that Jesus saved him for more than just one reason.
For this cause – Jesus saved you and he saved me, so that we could help others get saved.
Paul acknowledged that Jesus Christ saved him FIRST.
After he saved you FIRST, who did Jesus save SECOND?
Who has Jesus Christ showed forth all longsuffering?
What kind of a pattern are you?
Will anyone see your testimony and “hereafter believe on him?