If It Be Of God
Intro: Not everything that has God’s name attached to it is “of God.”
Even the world has a litmus test of whether something is “of God.”
Even they know that not everything is “of God.”
When God gets in on it; when it is OF GOD – there will be some distinguishing characteristics.
I. There will be a Divine Assistance
- 5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost:
- 10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost:
- 12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people;
- 15, 16 Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them. There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.
- 19 But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth,
There was no mistaking one fact – Someone else was doing it.
There was NO WAY anybody could attribute the supernatural working to the working of man.
II. There will be a Dogmatic Answer – vs. 29-32
A. Dogmatic in their Allegiance
Notice Gamaliel’s advice: If this counsel or this work be of men, it will be to impress other men. (see verse 38)
They were not afraid of men. Jesus had taught them better than that! SEE VERSE 25
- Matthew 10:27 What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
B. Dogmatic in their Theology
- 30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
Notice that they were not worried about being “inoffensive” or “
C. Dogmatic in their Commission
- 32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
III. There will be a Definite Anointing – vs. 32
When God gets IN it, God gets ON it!
Peter and the other apostles were positive about one thing – God’s anointing was on them and their ministry.
A. Evident in their Adversity
Notice Gamaliel’s words: lest haply ye found even to fight against God.
NOTE: when the crowd is filled with indignation (vs. 17), they were filled with the Holy Ghost.
Notice verse 38 – his advise was to “…refrain from these men.”
Verse 40 – they agreed, and when they had called them, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus…
B. Evident in their Attitude
- 41 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.
You can’t rejoice in the persecution if you’re not filled with the Holy Ghost!
C. Evident in their Activities
- 42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.
They took a lickin’ and kept on tickin’! – vs. 40 they were beaten; vs. 42 they ceased not
No matter how much opposition – they never stopped.
They were busy in the temple.
They were daily in every house.
They ceased not to teach and to preach JESUS CHRIST.
It was a DAILY activity.