I Love My Church!
Intro: It’s OK to love your church. Jesus loved the church too!! On a day when everyone is talking about how much they love their favorite football team, we can talk about how much we love the church of the living God!
We can publicly declare our love and affection for the Bride of Christ!
We can get excited about the blessings of being a part of the Body of the Lord Jesus Christ – the Church!!
Our Text reveals:
A. Christ’s Passion for the Church – vs. 25 …as Christ also loved the church and gave himself for it.
Christ loved the church because the church is made up of people.
Christ loves the church today because of the people.
Not the property, or the buildings, or the sports teams, or all the other things people love about their church
He loves the little group of African saints meeting under a mud hut this morning.
He loves the group of Chinese Christians huddled together in prayer in the prisons this morning.
He loves the flock of Filipinos meeting under a thatched roof in a remote mountain village.
Christ loves the church because it is made up of the men, women and children that He died for.
Christ loves the church because of you.
You are the church.
I am the church.
Christ loves the church because I’m here.
Christ loves the church because you’re here.
And because I’m here, and you’re here, then He’s here!
- Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
B. Christ’s Purging of the Church – vs. 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse by the washing of the word
God’s constant work on the church is to sanctify and cleanse it.
ILLUSTRATION: Some of you wives think that all you do is wash dishes and do laundry.
- Every time you turn around, there’s another mess to clean up.
- Your only other option is to just fall in love with filth.
- You could wear dirty clothes.
- You could sleep on dirty sheets.
- You could eat on dirty dishes. (Illustration of eating on dirty plates)
- You could live in a dirty house.
- But you won’t do that.
He is constantly washing away the filth of the flesh and of the spirit.
God is attempting to wash and purge His church of anything that is wrong.
God hates sin. He died to save us from our sins.
He is not going to leave us in our sin.
He is not going to condone our sin.
He is not going to turn a blind eye to our sin.
Our sin is what nailed Jesus to the cross.
That sin is going to have to go!!
That sin that you won’t let go of, that you hold on to with a death grip, He is going to pry it out of your hands.
That sin that you play with, He’s going to keep trying to take it away from you.
That sin that you keep petting and loving on, God wants it to go!
C. Christ’s Presentation of the Church – vs. 27 …that he might present it to himself a glorious church
Tonight, everybody will be excited about the presentation of the Lombardi Trophy.
But one day, there will be a presentation slightly more important than the Super Bowl.
That will be the day that Christ presents the church unto Himself.
D. Christ’s Plan for the Church – vs. 27b …not having spot or wrinkle, or any such thing but that it should be holy and without blemish.
God’s plan will come to fruition.
His will for the church will without a doubt be performed.
- Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
- 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
- 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
- 31 ¶ What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
I love my church because of the way…
I. The Story is Told
- Without Fear
- Without Favor
- Without Fake News
The Story is told
- With a Boldness
- With a Burden
- With a Bible Emphasis
The Story is told –
A. With Power
- 1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
- 1 Corinthians 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
B. With Plainness
- 25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.
- 26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:
- 27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.
- 28 ¶ I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.
- 29 His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.
- 30 Now are we sure that thou knowest all things, and needest not that any man should ask thee: by this we believe that thou camest forth from God.
- 31 Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe?
- Ephesians 6:19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
C. With Persuasion
- 22 Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
- 23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.
- 24 ¶ And as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad.
- 25 But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness.
- 26 For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner.
- 27 King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest.
- 28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
- 29 And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds.
I love my church because of the way…
II. The Sinner is Treated
Here at Calvary, we love sinners.
We go to a lot of time and trouble to find them, bring them in and see them saved.
We love sinners because that is what each and every of us are.
We are just sinners saved by grace.
A. The Corruption of Sin is Exposed
We do our best to paint an accurate picture of what sin is, what sin does and what sin will do to a person.
B. The Consequences of Sin is Explained
- Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
James 1:14, 15
- 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
- 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
C. The Cure for Sin is Expounded
I love my church because of the way…
III. The Soldier is Trained
A. To Deny the Flesh
II Timothy 2:3-5
- 3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
- 4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
- 5 And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.
B. To Defend the Faith
- Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
C. To Defeat the Foe
- 1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
- 1 John 2:13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one.