Hungering and Thirsting for God’s Presence
Intro: The presence of God is an amazing thing. Notice these verses
- Psalms 97:5 The hills melted like wax at the presence of the LORD, at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
- Psalms 114:7 Tremble, thou earth, at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the God of Jacob;
There are two types of people when it comes to God’s Presence:
- The Hiders
Notice Adam and Eve:
- Genesis 3:8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
Adam and Eve hid from the presence of God because of the sin of disobedience.
Cain’s curse was to be hidden from the FACE OF GOD – Gen. 4:14
- Genesis 4:16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
Cain hid from the presence of God because of the sin of disobedience.
- Jonah 1:3 But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.
- Jonah 1:10 Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said unto him, Why hast thou done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of the LORD, because he had told them.
Jonah hid from the presence of God because of the sin of disobedience.
Moral of the Story: Disobedience will DESTROY your desire for God’s presence!
If you’re not hungering and thirsting for God’s presence – CHECK UP! YOU MAY HAVE UNCONFESSED SIN!
- The Reassurance – II Chron. 15:2
- The Reward – II Chron. 15:4; 15
Jacob said in Gen. 32:30 – I have seen God face to face and my life is preserved!
The secret to seeing the face of God is SEEKING – SEARCHING – HUNGRY for a fresh glimpse of God.
Seeing God means that He is no longer a PRESENCE – BUT A PERSON.
- Jeremiah 29:12-14 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. And I will be found of you, saith the LORD: and I will turn away your captivity,
Don’t settle for somebody else’s description – get your own!
- Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
I. Get Hungry for a Unique Identity
- 1 Chronicles 16:11 Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.
- Deuteronomy 4:29 But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.
- Psalms 34:10 The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the LORD shall not want any good thing.
- Psalms 105:3 Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.
- Psalms 105:4 Seek the LORD, and his strength: seek his face evermore.
- Proverbs 28:5 Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the LORD understand all things.
- Hosea 10:12 Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you,
- Psalms 27:8 When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.
Get a craving for the FACE OF GOD.
This stands for the UNIQUE IDENTITY of a person.
We take pictures of people’s face.
Artist’ paint people’s face.
Stands for the POINT OF ATTENTION.
The source of one’s EYESIGHT, VOICE, HEARING, ETC.
When we think of a person, or hear their name, we think of their face.
Paul the Apostle said, That I may KNOW HIM!!!
II. Get Hungry for an Unprecedented Intimacy
Realizing that God has made Himself real to others should spark a desire.
- Exodus 33:10, 11 And all the people saw the cloudy pillar stand at the tabernacle door: and all the people rose up and worshipped, every man in his tent door. And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.
NOTE: There was something special about Joshua. Nobody had to pump and prime him to seek after God.
His pastor wasn’t trying to talk him into it!
His parents weren’t drilling it into him all day every day.
Joshua saw that God could interact with man face to face, and he wanted that for himself!
It is rare today to find a person that is willing to linger with God longer than the man of God.
Joshua couldn’t get enough! He was not satisfied to see God have an intimate relationship with others.
- Proverbs 30:15 …There are three things that are never satisfied, yea, four things say not, It is enough: The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that saith not, It is enough.
You know you’re on fire for God when you can’t get enough!!!
In most churches, if the pastor doesn’t pump and prime and push and pull and coerce and threaten, he can’t get most church members to do what they are supposed to do.
Joshua didn’t do what he did because the preacher was watching – it was in his soul, way down deep!
John the Beloved: Just one of the twelve, but he was always on Jesus’ bosom.
- John 13:23 Now there was leaning on Jesus’ bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.
III. Get Hungry for an Unparalleled Impact
Moses and the veil:
- 29 And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses’ hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him.
- 30 And when Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come nigh him.
- 31 And Moses called unto them; and Aaron and all the rulers of the congregation returned unto him: and Moses talked with them.
- 32 And afterward all the children of Israel came nigh: and he gave them in commandment all that the LORD had spoken with him in mount Sinai.
- 33 And till Moses had done speaking with them, he put a vail on his face.
- 34 But when Moses went in before the LORD to speak with him, he took the vail off, until he came out. And he came out, and spake unto the children of Israel that which he was commanded.
- 35 And the children of Israel saw the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses’ face shone: and Moses put the vail upon his face again, until he went in to speak with him.
LOOK AT II Cor. 3:13-18 – the glory of God changes our image into HIS image!!!