Hunger and Thirst Sermon Series Part 3
Hungry and Thirsty for God’s Power
Luke 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
Endue: put on 18, clothed with 2, clothed in 2, have on 2, clothe with 1, be endued 1, arrayed in 1, be clothed 1, vr put on 1; 29 to sink into (clothing), put on, clothe one’s self
- 2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Intro: The Holy Ghost is many times…
- Misunderstood – Charismatics, signs, healing, tongues, etc. (John 1:18; I John 4:12)
- Underestimated – so few seeking the filling of the Spirit (Zech. 4:6)
- Blasphemed – Mark 3:29 – attributing God’s work to Satan – no forgiveness
Note the Influence and the Importance of the Holy Spirit:
- In Creation – Gen. 1:2, 26
- In Conversion – John 3:6; Rom. 8:11
- In Communication – primarily, giving of the Scripture – II Pet. 1:21; II Sam. 23:1
- In Conviction – John 16:7-11
- In Christ’s life –
- He was conceived by the Holy Spirit – Luke 1:35
(It was no problem for Him to do this: since he created the human body out of the dust! Gen.1, 2)
- He was anointed by the Spirit – Acts 10:38
- He was led by the Spirit – Matt. 4:1
- He was filled with the Spirit – Luke 4:14, 18, 19
- He was offered by the Spirit – Heb. 9:14
- He was resurrected by the Spirit – Rom. 1:4; Rom. 8:11, I Peter 3:18
Until we are endued with power from on high, we will not be able to….
I. Understand the Word of God
- I John 2:20, 27 – But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
- Romans 8:5-7 – For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
- I Cor. 2:9-16 – Read it
II. Undergo the Will of God
A. Conforming to Christ – Rom. 8:1-4, 8 – Gal. 5:22, 23
Illustration: Speaking to a large audience, D.L. Moody held up a glass and asked, “How can I get the air out of this glass?” One man shouted, “Suck it out with a pump!” Moody replied, “That would create a vacuum and shatter the glass.” After numerous other suggestions Moody smiled, picked up a pitcher of water, and filled the glass. “There,” he said, “all the air is now removed.” He then went on to explain that victory in the Christian life is not accomplished by “sucking out a sin here and there,” but by being filled with the Holy Spirit.
Illustration: Some Christians are like:
- Wheelbarrows–must be pushed
- Canoes–need paddling
- Kites–must be kept on a string
- Football–can’t tell where they will bounce
- Balloons–full of hot air and ready to blow up
- Trailers–must be pulled
- Christmas Lights– on and off
- Kittens–content when petted
The the others are filled with the Holy Spirit!
B. Praying in the Holy Ghost – Jude 20; Eph. 6:18
C. Praising in the Holy Ghost – Eph. 5:18-20
III. Undertake the Work of God Luke 24:49 Acts 1:8, 2:4 WAIT FOR THE POWER!!!
Illustration: I have a glove here in my hand. The glove cannot do anything by itself, but when my hand is in it, the glove can do many things. True, it is not the glove, but my hand in the glove that acts. The Christian is a glove. It is the Holy Spirit in us, the hand, who does the work. We must room for the hand so that every finger in the glove is filled.
Anyone can make an impression, but only a Spirit filled person can make an impact.
QUOTE: You can be straight as a gun barrel doctrinally, but be empty spiritually.
Conclusion: There are some things that will never be achieved apart from the filling of the Spirit. Get Hungry and Thirsty for God’s Power!!