Hanged and Drowned
Luke 17:1 Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
In the Graeco-Roman world, a form of capital punishment was to tie a millstone around the neck of the condemned and cast him into the sea.
OFFEND – (than that he should offend one of these little ones.)
1) to put a stumbling block or impediment in the way, upon which another may trip and fall, metaph. to offend
1a) to entice to sin
1b) to cause a person to begin to distrust and desert one whom he ought to trust and obey
1b1) to cause to fall away
1b2) to be offended in one, i.e. to see in another what I disapprove of and what hinders me from acknowledging his authority
1b3) to cause one to judge unfavourably or unjustly of another
This passage could deal with a multitude of problems.
- Being a stumbling block and hindering them from reaching their full potential
- Causing children to sin/teaching them to sin/robbing them of their innocence
- To cause them to distrust or to desert an authority because of your offence
This is a very difficult and delicate subject to preach on.
The word OFFEND in this verse is the Greek word skandalizo which is where we get the word “scandal”.
Child molestation is not just real – it is rampant.
- 89% of child sexual assault cases involve persons known to the child, such as a caretaker or family acquaintance.
- 3/4 of the violent victimizations of children took place in either the victim’s home or the offenders home
- 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 20 boys is a victim of child sexual abuse;
- About one in 10 children will be sexually abused before their 18th birthday
- Self-report studies show that 20% of adult females and 5-10% of adult males recall a childhood sexual assault or sexual abuse incident;
- During a one-year period in the U.S., 16% of youth ages 14 to 17 had been sexually victimized;
- Over the course of their lifetime, 28% of U.S. youth ages 14 to 17 had been sexually victimized;
- Child molestation is one of the most underreported crimes: only 1-10% are ever disclosed.
Give my personal testimony.
How to deal with it.
- Tell someone – someone that will do something.
- The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
- Draw close to the Lord – Read Ephesians 6:10-18
- Don’t blame yourself
- Matthew 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
- Ask God to help you put it behind you
- 3:13, 14 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
- Allow God to use you to help others – you might ask me why I would share my story…
- II Cor. 1:1-7 NOTE vs. 4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.