Blind, But Doesn’t Know It
Revelation 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
Intro: Of all the handicaps known to man, I believe that being blind would have to be one of the most difficult handicap to have.
- Not being able to see the sunrise.
- Not being able to see the face of your child, or your wife.
- Not being able to see the colors of the rainbow, or the beautiful landscapes, etc.
But something worse than being blind, would be to be blind, and not know it.
In our text this morning, Jesus Christ described the church of Laodicea as “…thou knowest not that thou art blind…”
Many people today are blind, and do not even know it.
Let’s examine just 4 areas of blindness today.
I. Blind to the Light of the Savior
- John 1:6-14
The true child of God is not known for their blindness; but for their sight.
The Baptist “anthem” is Amazing Grace – “…I once was blind, but now I see.”
A true follower of Jesus Christ is described as a “child of the light”.
- Ephesians 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
- 1 Thessalonians 5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
The first thing God did in Genesis 1 was turn on the light!
The first thing that happened to Adam and Eve when they sinned was:
- Genesis 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
II. Blind to the Delight of the Scripture
The Psalmist David said:
- Psalms 119:18 Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
- Psalms 119:37 Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way.
- Psalms 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.
Illustration: When Adoniram Judson went to Burma in 1813, his first task was to translate the Scripture into the Burmese language. His first task was to translate the Gospel of Matthew into Burmese so the people could read the Scripture for themselves.
III. Blind to the Plight of the Sinner
- 35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.
- 36 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.
- 37 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few;
- 38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.
IV. Blind to the Blight of the Saint
Blight: to wither; to decay; to deteriorate; to become diseased
- 15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
- 16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
- 17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
God described the BLIGHT of the church of Laodicea as:
- LUKEWARM: neither cold nor hot; sickening; makes God nauseous
- WRETCHED: enduring toils and troubles
- MISERABLE: to be pitied,
- POOR: reduced to beggary, begging, asking alms; destitute of wealth, influence, position, honour; lowly, afflicted, destitute of the Christian virtues and eternal riches; helpless, powerless to accomplish an end
Jesus counseled the church of Laodicea to “anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.”
Conclusion: If you are here today, and you are Blind But Don’t Know It, I counsel you to anoint your eyes with eyesalve. Ask God to open your eyes to your lost condition.
Ask God to open your eyes to the delight of the word of God.
Ask God to open your eyes to the fact that there is a world, lost and dying around us.
Ask God to open your eyes to the true condition of your spiritual state.