Are You the Light?
- 14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
- 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
- 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
A. The Declaration – vs. 14 “Ye are the light of the world.”
He didn’t ask you if you wanted to be the light.
He didn’t ask you if you had a desire to be the light.
He stated – Ye ARE
B. The Distinction – vs. 14 “…cannot be hid.” Distinction between us (light) and the world (darkness).
- John 12:46 I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.
C. The Directions – vs. 15 “…and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick;”
I. A Permitted Light – “LET…”
If you are a light, you won’t be able to keep it from shining unless you do something deliberate to stop it.
Light is visible in darkness unless it’s limited or covered.
If everyone that was a Christian would let their light shine and stop inhibiting it, or limiting it, imagine the light!
II. A Personal Light – “…let YOUR light…”
Not the light of your church, or of your pastor, but YOUR light.
If you are saved, YOU SHOULD BE putting out light.
III. A Powerful Light – “Let your light SO SHINE…”
- John 5:35 He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.
IV. A Public Light – “…before men, that they may see YOUR GOOD WORKS…”
This is the glitch in many people’s life.
They have such an inferiority complex that IF they have any light, they don’t want anyone to see it.
The world is in darkness. They are in DESPERATE need of light.
If you have light, they need it!
- Proverbs 4:19 The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.
WORKS: business, employment, that which any one is occupied. that which one undertakes to do, enterprise, undertaking, any product whatever, anything accomplished by hand, art, industry, or mind
V. A Pointing Light – “…and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”
The whole purpose of letting your light shine is not to impress others with your light.
It is not to blind them, or to overwhelm them.
It is simply to point them to God.
POINT THEM: to praise, extol, magnify, celebrate, to honour, do honour to, hold in honour
Conclusion: A few questions:
- What kind of light are you?
- Who is seeing because of your light?
- Is your light bringing glory to your Father?