Some Things You Can Be Sure Of
Hebrews 6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
Intro: I don’t think there is anyone in this room that would argue the fact that we are nearing the end.
Polls have informed us that 41% of Americans (not a Christian poll) believe the end times have arrived.
More than three quarter of evangelicals (77%) and more than half of the Protestants (54%) agree that we are living in the end times as described in the Bible.
A secular poll states that one in five people believe that the world will end in their lifetime.
JOKE: I read yesterday that people are talking about the end of the world like there is no tomorrow.
When the end of the world hits, these are some of the headlines:
- USA Today: WE’RE DEAD
- The Wall Street Journal: DOW JONES PLUMMETS AS WORLD ENDS
- National Enquirer: OJ AND NICOLE, TOGETHER AGAIN
- Microsoft Systems Journal: APPLE LOSES MARKET SHARE
- Rolling Stone: THE GRATEFUL DEAD REUNION TOUR
- Ladies Home Journal: LOSE 10 POUNDS BY JUDGMENT DAY WITH OUR NEW “ARMAGEDDON” DIET!
- Sports Illustrated: GAME OVER
- The Washington Post: WORLD ENDS: WOMEN AND MINORITIES HIT THE HARDEST.
- CNN: TRUMP DESTROYS CIVILIZATION
As we draw near the end, there are Some Things You Can Be Sure Of
I. The Scriptures are Right
Notice how many times in our text we find a reference to the authenticity of the Scriptures:
- Verse 12 – inherit the promises
- 13 – For when God made a promise, he sware…
- 14 – Surely blessing …
- 15 – he obtained the promise.
- 16 – an oath for confirmation…
- 17 – the immutability of his counsel
- 17 – confirmed it by an oath
- 18 – it is impossible for God to lie
- 19 – hope we have as an anchor of the soul
- 19 – both sure and steadfast
Understand this – no matter how bad it gets, and how close we get to the end, the Scriptures will always be right!
- The wickedness of man doesn’t nullify the Word of God.
- The craziness of our day doesn’t void out the promises of God.
- The insanity in the world doesn’t render our God helpless.
We are right now experiencing:
- Unprecedented Disasters – hurricanes, flooding,
- Uncivilized Discourse – mobs of lunatics in the streets of our nation
- Uncertain Destruction from 3rd world countries – just last night Kim Jong Un tested a hydrogen bomb (5.3)
One thing you can be sure of – the Bible is right.
If God said it, you can take it to the bank!!
II. The Savior is Returning
25 of the books of the Bible are prophetic
In the 260 chapters in the New Testament, there are 300 references to the coming of Christ
That makes 1 out of 30 verses in the New Testament speak of the coming of Christ.
Of the 27 books of the New Testament, 23 refer to the coming of Christ.
Of the four that do not mention it, three are one-chapter books.
Jesus Himself referred to His own coming 21 times.
For every time the first coming of Christ is mentioned in the Bible, His second coming is mentioned 8 times.
We are exhorted over 50 times to be ready for the coming of Christ.
We are to live looking for the return of Christ.
The law of proportion in the Bible has to do with the frequency something is mentioned as to its importance.
- Source: Dr. Johnny Pope
Jesus said He was coming again, and He will!
- John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
III. The Sinners are Running out of Time
- Luke 12: 16-20 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
The biggest lie that Satan will tell an unsaved person is that they have plenty of time.
He will lull them into a false sense of security and make them think that they can get saved anytime.
- I Thess. 5:1 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
IV. The Saints need to be Ready
- Matthew 25:13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
- Luke 12:40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.
- James 5:8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.